Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #11 
alunjai

Hi guys, thought I'd give you a quick update on my fry.. Almost 8 weeks old and starting to take crushed pellets/flakes and occasionally feed them live adult brine. They seem to be swimming ok but still think its a bit odd when they rest at the bottom of the tank. They rest on one side of their belly - Is that normal? I've never seen my adults do that...

3 of them are about 1 inch long and the smallest one is about 3/4 inch long. Will try and post some pictures when I can get a good shot of them :)
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:41 PM   #12 
Myates

Glad to hear they are still with you :) Have you used any Epsom Salt to see if that helps? Normally they shouldn't be just laying around.. just here and there when resting. If they are resting on the bottom for about 1-10 minutes then I wouldn't worry about it.. but if it's all day and they only swim to eat then I would look into what is causing it.

How big of a tank are they in now?
Temp?
% and often of the water change?
Conditioner?
Sponge filter?
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #13 
alunjai

When they're resting its only short periods - never longer than 5 minutes. They constantly go up for air and food then back down to rest or sometimes in the floating plants. Maybe they're ok now but me being paranoid :P

They're still in the 4 gallon and temp is 82-84F. I do around 50-60% once every day/2 days. I use a normal dechlorinated (can't remember the brand) and IAL to condition the water. The sponge filter is still running at a low rate.

I used the epsom salt once in small quantities (probably half a teaspoon).

I think I noticed one of the bigger ones start to flare... but not 100% sure. I've not noticed any fin nipping or ripped fins at the moment.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 PM   #14 
Myates

Continue with the large water changes daily, as that is really small for 4 juveniles who produce that hormone still.

So they go up for food and air, then right back down? Or do they swim around all over and occasionally rest? Sorry, didn't quite understand.. normally they should be swimming most of the time with occasional rest periods.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Is there any way you can get a video to describe what you mean? It is hard with only photos and descriptions to get a proper idea of what is happening.

That way we can see if what is going on with your fry is abnormal or not.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:26 AM   #16 
alunjai

Sorry, the tank size is around 8-9 gallons and been in there for a weeks now (my other tank was around 4).

They do swim around a bit after food and air. It's just when they are resting at the bottom the position they're in doesn't seem normal.

I will to try get a video of them and maybe post on youtube.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:59 AM   #17 
alunjai

I've finally uploaded a vid of the fry at 8 weeks on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8zXOyGjalc

Sorry it's taken so long, I was on holiday and just got back.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #18 
Myates

Huh.. they seem to be gasping for some reason.. breathing hard, using their gills for extra oxygen. Something is up with them :(
Old 04-04-2013, 10:22 AM   #19 
alunjai

They seem to be ok at the moment. Just took another video and will try to upload now. I fed them frozen blood worms for the first time today and they took with no problems.

I saw one of the larger ones flaring but no torn fins yet.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:40 AM   #20 
alunjai

2nd vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDDySToTmVk

They seem to be swimming a lot better. And they don't seem to be gasping for air...