Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Different way pet store bettas housed

I went to a fish shop today that is what they specialize in. I was disappointed in some ways they are worse than the box store. The bettas were in tanks with other fish some were free roaming and it seem to be going well at least from the no aggression standpoint. But their fins didn't look good. They had other bettas that were confined in these narrow hanging rectangular box things with slits in them in larger tanks with either other fish or plants. They could only turn around that's it. The fact that the tanks surrounding their enclosures were filtered would seem better. It didn't make much different though. They all looked terrible. Have you seen bettas housed like this before?
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #2 
RiceFish

I've seen stores where they house the betta with other fish to show that betta can be compatible with some fish. Usually you're gonna fish bettas housed in little cups with air holes on top.
RiceFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

It was like this:

http://www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Su.../dp/B001AXDC7E

I would not be surprised if that isn't what they actually are.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Most everywhere I've seen them, from the big box stores to the my LFS, house them in little cups. One place houses the plakats and kings in little vases. And one time, one of my LFS got an overstock in and housed them in bags of water hanging from hooks, like bags of candy. That was the worst.

I've found that bettas at LFS can sometimes look even worse than the ones at Petco etc. It's so sad.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:45 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

Yes I expecting better from "experts". I went to two LFS today to see if they have the supplies I am having trouble finding locally and hoping maybe they'd have some fancier bettas. One had none and supplies were meager. Furthermore, I actually had a guy tell me they do better in very little water, they live in puddles, and the dirtier the water the better in a strictly fish specialty shop! I could not begin to tell him otherwise. He would not even listen when I told him how active and happy my fish are. I am going to mail a care sheet to the store even though they don't have any Bettas. Lord help them if they get any!

The next one I've already described. I am thinking of trying to see if the owner is interested in letting me have his half dead bettas nursing them and finding them new homes. Most of the ones he had were not fish I'd want to keep on an appearance basis. There were about two nice ones. Petsmart has better ones.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #6 
kyle89

Local PETCO cant even have label the fish right! All the containers where labeled wrong
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #7 
Bombalurina

I've seen them in everything from beer glasses and tiny betta barracks to planted 10 gallons. I loved that little shop. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:47 AM   #8 
Polkadot

At the Petstore where I buy my little ones they have them each in the individual glass rectagular shaped things similar to the Betta barracks,which are kept very clean.They also have a couple of store tanks that have 1 Betta in each with other fish,they have the most amount of Betta fish for sale that I have seen out of the pet shops I go to. In other local petstores I have seen them kept in jam jars and one shop had them in champagne glasses with a little cloth on top,the poor things looked so sad. Another pet shop has 1 Betta in each of their large tanks with other fish and they looked alot happier.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #9 
JayPe3

My LFS keeps them in these when they get over stocked

Otherwise, they're normally housed like this, just like at Petland and Pet Traders, another small shop here.

Petcetera keeps them in larger square sized tanks. They're actually housed quite nicely.
JayPe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #10 
White Mage

There was a LFS that had very bad looking bettas that cost $20 in free sample food containers! They could barely move! D:

We boycotted that store. >.> lol
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote