Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 02:29 AM   #1 
xShainax

Play sand?

Is it true I can use play sand as a substrate?
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #2 
tekkguy

Yes. You need to rinse it really well.

Put the sand in a bucket, shove your water hose into the sand, and turn it on. Swish it around a lot, and let the bucket overflow for a while. Once the water runs clear, even with a swish, it's rinsed well enough. What happens is the smaller particles will float in the running water, up out of the bucket, while the larger ones will not.

Pool filter sand is a better option, and sometimes even cheaper. Because it's filter sand, it barely needs any rinsing.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #3 
Dene

I use pool filter sand because I heard it is better than play sand because it has less extra stuff in it. xP I bought 20 grade (didn't even know what that meant at the time) and got it at Leslie's for $10. It was a 50 pound bag, so it will go a long way. I also bought a 5 gallon bucket at WalMart for $3 and used that to thoroughly rinse the sand.

I've heard it can be really white sometimes, but mine is a mixture of browns and I like the look of it.
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

I tried pool filter sand, did the rinsing...and it still just about killed my filters and NEVER would uncloud. I must have been doing something wrong...but for the life of me I couldn't figure it out.
Pool filter sand is cheap and readily available, so go for it. Hopefully you'll have better luck! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote