Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

:shock: My Spawning Tank Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuW2RssRWi4

I made a video of my 1st day of my 1st spawn attempt.

I made the video a couple of hours ago. It's Jack building/courting, Glow watching & swimming away.

What do I do about water quality? The Betta Spa makes it look gross & it's only getting cloudier-ugh.

Any advice? How do I clean up fish poop w/o disrupting things? Should I add a few RCS?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #2 
jibruno

when theyre first released, its normal for the male to try and get the female to the nest, he will also continue to swim around and then go back to the nest for touch ups. their behavior looks normal and they may need some time for the female to get courage and swim to the nest. if she still shows no interest after a few hours, you might need to take them out and try again. but they look good so far =]

iv never used betta spa, normally just add IAL and it works fone for all my water quality needs. for debris on the botom, once the fry are free swimming for a few days you can use a turkey baster or some airline tubing to slowly suction the bottom. you could also throw in a mystery snail that will eat some debris off the bottom (the snail will ad more waist as well and suctioning the bottom will still be necessary)
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

Glow is showing GREAT intrest in Jack's nests! When he sees her, he stops nest building & flares; she then darts across the tank w/ him in hot pursuit. After more chasing & flaring, he goes back to the nest.
He is building a new nest around the sponge filter outtakke. He finds in convenient to rest on the sponge while blowing bubbles.
I misspoke in the video; Glow ripped a huge gap in Jack's dorsal fin :0(
I am just wondering how long to keep them in this little pool of muck? How can I add fresh water w/out wrecking the nest(s)?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

IF they haven't spawned/embraced, it's usually OK to siphon out water and or gunk. Bubbles will stick to the walls, but that's ok. Then refill by means of siphon. Pouring water in will disturb water surface and nest.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

I added 2 patches of bubble wrap to the 2 nest locations- Jack is working to extend his nest from the filter over to the bubble wrap (I taped the wrap in place).

I'd like to install some sort of drip system from a bucket of treated water, but I have no idea how to do that. I can syphon out water w/ a turkey baster, but getting the water in is the problem. Also, I don't want to disturb the params.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Do you have some spare airline tubing laying around?

If you are concerned, you could always just prop the bucket on top of the tank and then run the airline tubing down into the tank to siphon water gently back into it.

I use a rock to hold my airline tubing in place and some old glass lids to rest the bucket on and that is the exact same method I use to siphon water back into my fry tanks.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:51 PM   #7 
Xaltd1

I have lots of tubing. How you get it to siphon?
Old 03-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Just suck on the end and try not to swallow haha. It's how I start all my tube siphons.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #9 
Xaltd1

But don't the fish get human germs??? Can't be good... esp. for fry.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

I don't think there are any transferable diseases between humans/bettas aside from fish TB. I've always started my siphons that way even on my fry tanks and never run into any issues.

There's probably more risk of harming your fry by putting your hands into their tank.