Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #21 
Agility4fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonahan View Post
I will raise the temperature, get some AQ salt ,And I don't have IAL leaves. But I will try my best. I am hoping to clean the tank on Friday, so I will start the AQ salt treatment on Thursday.
Thanks everyone!
Hang in there.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #22 
madmonahan

Yeah, 25% water change won't be to hard. I recently got new supplies to help me with water changes. :)
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #23 
madmonahan

So they ran out of AQ salt. But tomorrow in going to Pet*smart, I hope they have some there.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM   #24 
Snoeflayke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
ETA: If an animal is still eating, it's not ready to go yet. Animals stop eating when they are ready.
I just have to throw in my two cents here.

Some animals never stop eating. If you put a bowl of food in front of them as they were taking their last breaths, they would pause to eat it. (okay, that's a little dramatic...) But for many animals, by the time they stop eating, it's gone "too far." I see it on a daily basis.

On topic, I'm really sorry you're going through this. Keep an eye on him as you run through your options. As long as he doesn't seem distressed, I'd say you can continue. But as soon as he seems to be stressed by them, it's time to consider whether the stress is worth the time that you may have left.

Good luck, and lots of love!
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #25 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoeflayke View Post
I just have to throw in my two cents here.

Some animals never stop eating. If you put a bowl of food in front of them as they were taking their last breaths, they would pause to eat it. (okay, that's a little dramatic...) But for many animals, by the time they stop eating, it's gone "too far." I see it on a daily basis.
Well then we can disagree. This comes from almost 30 years of growing up on a very large horse farm with hundreds of horses over the years. About 20 years spent with my family running a small dog operation. And, then all my small pocket pets and fish. I've seen a lot of death in my life. If they keep eating, I keep fighting, even with poor odds. I've been flat out told there was no hope they'd survive, and they're still here in many situations. Our vets have always agreed, if they keep eating, keep trying to save them because they're not ready.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:54 PM   #26 
Snoeflayke

Quote:
Well then we can disagree. This comes from almost 30 years of growing up on a very large horse farm with hundreds of horses over the years. About 20 years spent with my family running a small dog operation. And, then all my small pocket pets and fish. I've seen a lot of death in my life. If they keep eating, I keep fighting, even with poor odds. I've been flat out told there was no hope they'd survive, and they're still here in many situations. Our vets have always agreed, if they keep eating, keep trying to save them because they're not ready.
I'm just putting out a different point of view. As a Licensed Veterinary Technician, I help people through the process of deciding when it's time to let go regularly. Your opinion is no less valid than mine is, but we need to keep Romeo's health in mind.
Snoeflayke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #27 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoeflayke View Post
I'm just putting out a different point of view. As a Licensed Veterinary Technician, I help people through the process of deciding when it's time to let go regularly. Your opinion is no less valid than mine is, but we need to keep Romeo's health in mind.
I totally agree your opinion is valid. I just don't want you to think my opinion is built on ignorance. I spent a lot of my childhood and teen years at vet clinics owned by family friends, dealing with everything from small animal to equine. Including some of the top equine surgeons in the country. Many of our close friends are veterinarians, including some who have written textbooks for veterinary schools. I do applaud vet techs, they do a lot of the work with little of the prestige. My cousin was going to be a vet tech, until she decided to go all the way to vet med.

Madmonahan: You should call before you got to PetSmart. They can check, and it'll save you a trip.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #28 
Artemis

I wouldn't. I have had to put down 2 fish due to severe injuries. You can tell when they are ready. They sit and look at you with apleading look to let them go
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #29 
madmonahan

Quote:
Madmonahan: You should call before you got to PetSmart. They can check, and it'll save you a trip.
My mom and I have to bring some things back to Dicks *Sporting *Goods, and Pet*Smart is right by it so we can take a look In there.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #30 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Neither of your opinions are more valid then the other, but I have to agree with NeptunesMom. Having family who grew up on farms, having pets since I was two years old, having animals around me all the time, and generally being a caring pet owner, I know that an animal will stop eating near the end of its life. If it is ready to go, it will not do things to prolong its life.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote