Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #1 
mhunki

Unhappy He wont stop flaring!

I bought my little guy new silk plants to replace this big tree/cave that was in his tank becquse it was really rough on his fins, and since we put him back in the tank he wont stop flaring at the back wall. I've turned off his filter, light, and don't have lights on in the room he's in and he still wont stop. I'm scared he's going to stress himself out too much if he keeps it up. Should i just give in and put the tree back in? Or wait for him to settle down?
mhunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #2 
kimt

How long has it been? My crowntail was pretty upset when I put a purple silk plant in his tank. He swam right over and challenged it to a dual. Then he cowered in the back of the tank for a couple of hours but then got over it.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #3 
mhunki

It's been about 20 minutes, he isn't paying attention to any of the new stuff in his tank, it's just the back wall. I also just found out that the tree was full of smelly water, with no way to get out. He's not getting it back.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #4 
kimt

I'd give it some time. Like I said, it took a couple of hours for my betta to decide the purple plant was harmless.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #5 
mhunki

Thank you, i'm just worried because i've never seen him get this aggressive.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #6 
motherpeters

Mine goes after his front wall nearly every day first thing in the morning. He settles down after a little bit and goes back to being his normal self.
motherpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #7 
valen1014

Is he a plakat by any chance? Sometimes its a particular color, mine will flare at anything black and it just so happens that my stand is black and it took me forever to figure it out. But if it has only been 20 minutes, he might just be adjusting. Try changing the background of the back wall (like.. put a white piece of paper or something)
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #8 
mhunki

He's a halfmoon, and since we put him in the tank there's been a dark blue background, but he's never flared at it. The only time i've actually gotten him to flare is when i put a mirror up to the tank. He's seemed to calm down a bit down.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:34 PM   #9 
mhunki

I finally gave in and took down the background and replaced it with white paper and he stopped. It's been in there since the moment i got him, but i guess it gives off too much of a reflection now.