Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #1 
Lisa Ann

Exclamation New Betta Owner...

I've been thinking about this since I got my Betta about a week and a half ago.... I'm a cigarette smoker ,the thing is I smoke in my room where my fish is kept, and I don't want to sound ignorant if I'm wrong but will this affect my fish and tank???
Lisa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #2 
bniebetta

I've actually wondered about this myself. I am no expert, so don't take my word for this, but it is my logical conclusion that since the fish breathe air with their labrynth organ, they can therefore be affected about whatever is polluting that air. I think there is also the possibility that the smoke residue could land in the water, since it goes pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't chance it personally :/
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #3 
Lisa Ann

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
I've actually wondered about this myself. I am no expert, so don't take my word for this, but it is my logical conclusion that since the fish breathe air with their labrynth organ, they can therefore be affected about whatever is polluting that air. I think there is also the possibility that the smoke residue could land in the water, since it goes pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't chance it personally :/
Yeah I had the same thought.. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place... I live in a house with a bunch of different rooms with me and my husband in control of our own room (we live with my father in law,his gf,her kid,my husband's sister,and about 3 of my husband's friends living and paying some money to stay in their own rooms). The thing is I don't trust my fish or anything of mine in the other living rooms or anything. So thus I keep my fish in my room. And if anyone knows anything about living with a bunch of people family or not knows things can be hectic so me and my husband mostly keep to ourselves in our room thus the smoking in the room. (The entire house is full of smokers anyway) :/
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #4 
Lisa Ann

Some one please help...

I still have a hard time debating between myself, is smoking in the same room as my fish something that could possibly cause him to die?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #5 
bannlow2471

I have no idea, and I'm not a smoker, but is it possible just to smoke outside so as not to have to take the chance? By the way, hello! I'm new here, too!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

+1. I'm fairly certain that smoke, like perfumes or chemicals sprayed in the room, can harm the fish. If you can get outside to smoke, I definitely would. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #7 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
+1. I'm fairly certain that smoke, like perfumes or chemicals sprayed in the room, can harm the fish. If you can get outside to smoke, I definitely would. :)
+1 if the fumes stay in your clothes, it will be floating around and when betta breathes, he will get your second hand smoke.

not sure if they have research on betta and cancer, but my friend's rabbit had lung cancer. Her dad died from lung cancer before she got the rabbit and maybe the residue inside the house might have affected the rabbit.

I remember it was a lot of work to clean up one of my place when the previous tenant is a smoker, the towels are brown and smell like cigarrette when I wipe the walls.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #8 
Lisa Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
+1 if the fumes stay in your clothes, it will be floating around and when betta breathes, he will get your second hand smoke.

not sure if they have research on betta and cancer, but my friend's rabbit had lung cancer. Her dad died from lung cancer before she got the rabbit and maybe the residue inside the house might have affected the rabbit.

I remember it was a lot of work to clean up one of my place when the previous tenant is a smoker, the towels are brown and smell like cigarrette when I wipe the walls.

Off topic....Just curious but did you mean to say towels? And if so, do you own a "hotel/motel cuz if so I guess I could understand reusing towels but if not why would you use them?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #9 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Ann View Post
Off topic....Just curious but did you mean to say towels? And if so, do you own a "hotel/motel cuz if so I guess I could understand reusing towels but if not why would you use them?
I do not own a hotel/motel but I used to move into apartments previously rented by smokers and it was hard cleaning up because the fumes are stuck to the walls and everything smells like cigarette. I have asthma and I have a very sensitive nose for the fumes, so it makes life hard.

towels scrub better so as not to rub off the paint if I would have used a sponge.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #10 
Lisa Ann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I do not own a hotel/motel but I used to move into apartments previously rented by smokers and it was hard cleaning up because the fumes are stuck to the walls and everything smells like cigarette. I have asthma and I have a very sensitive nose for the fumes, so it makes life hard.

towels scrub better so as not to rub off the paint if I would have used a sponge.
My husband is a jack of all trades and he says primer and paint will cover up the smell..without using towels...just trying to help...

Anyways thanks for the responses .....