Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 12:54 AM   #1 
Lisa Ann
New Member
 
Lisa Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Exclamation New Betta Owner...

I've been thinking about this since I got my Betta about a week and a half ago.... I'm a cigarette smoker ,the thing is I smoke in my room where my fish is kept, and I don't want to sound ignorant if I'm wrong but will this affect my fish and tank???
Lisa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:02 AM   #2 
bniebetta
Member
 
bniebetta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
I've actually wondered about this myself. I am no expert, so don't take my word for this, but it is my logical conclusion that since the fish breathe air with their labrynth organ, they can therefore be affected about whatever is polluting that air. I think there is also the possibility that the smoke residue could land in the water, since it goes pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't chance it personally :/
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:33 AM   #3 
Lisa Ann
New Member
 
Lisa Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniebetta View Post
I've actually wondered about this myself. I am no expert, so don't take my word for this, but it is my logical conclusion that since the fish breathe air with their labrynth organ, they can therefore be affected about whatever is polluting that air. I think there is also the possibility that the smoke residue could land in the water, since it goes pretty much everywhere. I wouldn't chance it personally :/
Yeah I had the same thought.. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place... I live in a house with a bunch of different rooms with me and my husband in control of our own room (we live with my father in law,his gf,her kid,my husband's sister,and about 3 of my husband's friends living and paying some money to stay in their own rooms). The thing is I don't trust my fish or anything of mine in the other living rooms or anything. So thus I keep my fish in my room. And if anyone knows anything about living with a bunch of people family or not knows things can be hectic so me and my husband mostly keep to ourselves in our room thus the smoking in the room. (The entire house is full of smokers anyway) :/
Lisa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #4 
Lisa Ann
New Member
 
Lisa Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Some one please help...

I still have a hard time debating between myself, is smoking in the same room as my fish something that could possibly cause him to die?
Lisa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #5 
bannlow2471
Member
 
bannlow2471's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
I have no idea, and I'm not a smoker, but is it possible just to smoke outside so as not to have to take the chance? By the way, hello! I'm new here, too!
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #6 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
+1. I'm fairly certain that smoke, like perfumes or chemicals sprayed in the room, can harm the fish. If you can get outside to smoke, I definitely would. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #7 
Otterfun
Member
 
Otterfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
+1. I'm fairly certain that smoke, like perfumes or chemicals sprayed in the room, can harm the fish. If you can get outside to smoke, I definitely would. :)
+1 if the fumes stay in your clothes, it will be floating around and when betta breathes, he will get your second hand smoke.

not sure if they have research on betta and cancer, but my friend's rabbit had lung cancer. Her dad died from lung cancer before she got the rabbit and maybe the residue inside the house might have affected the rabbit.

I remember it was a lot of work to clean up one of my place when the previous tenant is a smoker, the towels are brown and smell like cigarrette when I wipe the walls.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #8 
Lisa Ann
New Member
 
Lisa Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
+1 if the fumes stay in your clothes, it will be floating around and when betta breathes, he will get your second hand smoke.

not sure if they have research on betta and cancer, but my friend's rabbit had lung cancer. Her dad died from lung cancer before she got the rabbit and maybe the residue inside the house might have affected the rabbit.

I remember it was a lot of work to clean up one of my place when the previous tenant is a smoker, the towels are brown and smell like cigarrette when I wipe the walls.

Off topic....Just curious but did you mean to say towels? And if so, do you own a "hotel/motel cuz if so I guess I could understand reusing towels but if not why would you use them?
Lisa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 AM   #9 
Otterfun
Member
 
Otterfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Ann View Post
Off topic....Just curious but did you mean to say towels? And if so, do you own a "hotel/motel cuz if so I guess I could understand reusing towels but if not why would you use them?
I do not own a hotel/motel but I used to move into apartments previously rented by smokers and it was hard cleaning up because the fumes are stuck to the walls and everything smells like cigarette. I have asthma and I have a very sensitive nose for the fumes, so it makes life hard.

towels scrub better so as not to rub off the paint if I would have used a sponge.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:28 AM   #10 
Lisa Ann
New Member
 
Lisa Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
I do not own a hotel/motel but I used to move into apartments previously rented by smokers and it was hard cleaning up because the fumes are stuck to the walls and everything smells like cigarette. I have asthma and I have a very sensitive nose for the fumes, so it makes life hard.

towels scrub better so as not to rub off the paint if I would have used a sponge.
My husband is a jack of all trades and he says primer and paint will cover up the smell..without using towels...just trying to help...

Anyways thanks for the responses .....
Lisa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Betta Owner - need help! meinsk Betta Fish Care 18 03-11-2013 09:18 PM
newb betta owner-betta males dieing patchesofheaven74 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 36 09-08-2011 10:47 PM
New Betta Owner!!! TyLee0409 Betta Fish Care 9 12-09-2010 12:00 AM
Betta bloating and discoloration. Please help! First time betta owner. ShearxVanity Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 4 07-20-2010 08:17 PM
Am I doing this right? (New Betta owner) fishfin Betta Fish Care 3 06-26-2010 09:21 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.