Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #1 
Cyndih70

Exclamation Emergency please help

My Sushi has terrible bladder disorder. Hasnt eaten in several days and showing signs of being very lethargic. Now he sinks to the bottom of the tank and is just barely breathing. I though he was gone, but when I scooped him up I could see that he's still breathing, but just barely. WHAT DO I DO NOW?

He's in a 3 gallon tank right now and I read about moving him into something shallow with just a few inches of water. Do I add anything other than water treatment?

How do I keep those few inches of water warm?

please help. I have such a broke heart right now. Sushi is my little buddy and I will be sad beyond words if I lose him.
Cyndih70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

We need more info-complete the info sheet sticky found at the top of this section and a pic....Until then....Since he is having buoyancy issues-I would go ahead and start Epsom salt(Not aquarium salt) and tannin treatment while in a small QT floating in the heated tank to maintain temp(be sure and attach the QT so it doesn't sink).
Cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source-Either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30 min...Shake well before use.

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today.
He needs to stay in the covered QT floating in the heated tank-in the treatment water for the duration of the treatment period.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water make 50% water changes daily for 10-14 days.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.

Good luck and complete the sticky info sheet so we can try and figure out the cause of his problems so we can help you fix that.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote