Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #1 
Stargirlx1

Two Thermostats - Both Different readings??

Ok so I bought a new tank for my Betta (Killer) and also kinda splurged and bought all new items (heater, thermostat, silk plants, etc).

I just have one huge problem I can't seem to figure out. I have a new thermostat in his new tank that shows the temp is just a little under 80 degrees but when I felt the water and compared to his old one they seemed way different in temp..So I put our old thermostat in the new tank (so now there is 2 thermostats in there) and they are both reading completely different.

So im not sure what to go by now??? If I go by his old thermostat it looks like I need to raise the temp but if I go by the new one it seems it is perfect...Please help.

I can get pictures if needed.
Stargirlx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #2 
tekkguy

Thermostat or thermometer? I'm guessing that you mean thermometer. If they are side by side in the exact same spot in the tank, one of them is clearly wrong. If they are on opposite sides of the tank or far away from each other, your water may not be equalized in temperature.

Make sure they are both in the same spot in the tank, and get a third thermometer. Test the water with the third thermometer. I keep a digital meat thermometer around for this. Your third thermometer should match one of the two you have - the one that it doesn't match should be thrown out.

Aquarium thermometers are usually very cheap, and the cheapest ones are really low quality. I wouldn't be surprised to find one that's not accurate.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #3 
Stargirlx1

LOL ok im such a nerd just realized I was saying thermostat but yes you are correct I mean a thermometer. And I do have them in 2 different spots.

What would you recommend I buy for the 3rd one?

And I do have a meat thermometer but its not digital.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #4 
tekkguy

Put them in the same spot and see if they read the same, before you do anything else. Just put them both side by side and give them an hour or so.

If they're wrong, just get any aquarium thermometer, and stick it beside them. Watch all three. Two should match, one won't. Throw out the one that doesn't.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #5 
Stargirlx1

Sounds great I will wait about an hour and keep watch now that they are in the same place and thank you SO much for your quick reply. I have been so worried about Killer's temp.

Is there a main place -best place to put a thermometer?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #6 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargirlx1 View Post
Sounds great I will wait about an hour and keep watch now that they are in the same place and thank you SO much for your quick reply. I have been so worried about Killer's temp.

Is there a main place -best place to put a thermometer?
If you have good water flow, keep it away from the heater. I put mine on the opposite side of the tank, so it doesn't get hit directly from the heater. If you're running any kind of light that gives off heat, keep it away from the lights. It'll be slightly warmer near the lights, but you don't want it cold away from them.

I'm not sure what kind of light is in your Edge (is that the old model or the new one?), but it looks like one of the thermometers is right under the lights, next to the filter - and unless I'm wrong, you probably have the heater on that back center wall right? Is that the thermometer that is reading higher by any chance?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #7 
Stargirlx1

Yea I would say we have great water flow as I was actually looking to baffle the filter. And for the model Edge, I honestly have no idea. We just bought it so I think the new one? It has LED lights if I remember correctly.

Yes you are correct, the heater is on the back wall behind the vase. It is a hydro. Also funny as the thermometer right under the lights is the old one and is the one reading lower temp than the one off to the left.

Though they are now both off to the left.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #8 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargirlx1 View Post
Yea I would say we have great water flow as I was actually looking to baffle the filter. And for the model Edge, I honestly have no idea. We just bought it so I think the new one? It has LED lights if I remember correctly.

Yes you are correct, the heater is on the back wall behind the vase. It is a hydro. Also funny as the thermometer right under the lights is the old one and is the one reading lower temp than the one off to the left.

Though they are now both off to the left.
That's probably where I would put the heater permanently - off to the left. If the old one was closer to the heater and reading lower, it's probably the one that's bad, if they don't equalize in the same spot - I'd still test with a third just to be sure.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #9 
Stargirlx1

Ok sounds great. So you like the sticky thermometers better (that stick on the outside of the tank, correct)? Going to go by a 3rd just to be safe and want to get the best one. :)
Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #10 
tekkguy

In my previous post, I meant to say that I'd put the thermometer off to the left ... the heater is perfect where it is.

And no, sorry ... you want a real in-tank thermometer that floats or suction cups to the tank side. The stick-on ones are awful and completely inaccurate.