Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #1 
Shayla Fortune

Hello from Michigan!

Hello! My name is Shayla and I'm from Michigan, USA. I impulsively bought a betta at the pet store today. I bought live (good bacteria) gravel, a live plant, a fake plant, steamed distilled water, and food along with him. My friend traded me her 2.5 g tank for some parrot supplies and after the tank was all set up and he was acclimated, he has been slowly swimming around the tank but is currently floating just above the gravel at the bottom (this is normal at night I hope). I think all is going well, though I am a tad bit worried that he hasn't eaten anything that I've seen yet.

I plan on purchasing a small hiding rock for him to have some privacy in (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=21411), a few cherry shrimp if I can find some, and maaaaybe a tank mate or two... but am not positive on what species. I just don't feel like it is right for any animal to live alone if it can thrive with others. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Now for what you've been waiting for...

Introducing Natsu!

(waiting for his tank)

(kinda chilling... I think he was resting and I kinda suprised him)

He caught my attention at the pet store because he isn't exactly brightly colored like all the other betta's there and I just imagined him sitting in that cup and eventually dieing because he isn't vibrant and beautiful in a conventional way... He's kind of a brown with a rusty red stripe on his fins, but in just the right light he looks purple-y (like in the first photo).

I hope this guy lives a good long happy life, and I would appreciate any and all suggestions to help me out. I've had some fish in the past, but I never really went totally in depth with them... I feel like I also should mention that I don't have much room at all for a large tank and 2.5 is probably all I'll be able to fit. :(

Thanks in advance.
Shayla Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #2 
Agility4fun

Hi Shayla, welcome. Can't wait to see Natsu's set-up.

I have a 2.65g tank and it's really not big enough for more than one fish. You should keep in mind the amount of waste they produce and so you would have to do double the amount of water changes to keep it healthy. Another thing to consider is that there isn't enough room for 2 fish to have their space, hide and be able to swim around without bumping into each other. I have 3 of these tanks and I often wish I could have more than one in each tank, but... Instead I'm working on adding a ton of plants and how of creative I can be with a smallish tank.

I got an amano shrimp yesterday, they are soo cool to watch. Today however, I can't find it so he's either great at hiding or Marigold had him for brunch. I think a shrimp and betta could work, but only in a 5g or bigger.

You'll get lots of help and great ideas here...have fun!
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 AM   #3 
Skyewillow

Hey there, fellow Michigander! UP or LP?

a 2.5 is nothing to be ashamed of, I'm using a variety of tanks, and while 2.5 & 5 gallon seem to be the most socially accepted sizes, anything 1 gal or bigger is the norm. As long as he's warm, clean, and fed, I don't think he'll mind all too much.

I'm sure he'll brighten up and become more "conventionally" beautiful under your care. They go through so much neglect at the stores, and it takes some TLC to get them back up to speed, so to speak.

Unless you give your shrimp plenty of hiding places, they'll probably be a snack. I've had little females take on huge ghost shrimp before and win! >_<

Anyways, Welcome!!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:34 AM   #4 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Hi Shayla

Welcome to the forum.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #5 
Tabbie82

Hi! Welcome! Natsu is a beautiful fish.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi Shayla, welcome to the forum.
I adore copper colored bettas . . . . favorite since they were created.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #7 
Shayla Fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
Hey there, fellow Michigander! UP or LP?

a 2.5 is nothing to be ashamed of, I'm using a variety of tanks, and while 2.5 & 5 gallon seem to be the most socially accepted sizes, anything 1 gal or bigger is the norm. As long as he's warm, clean, and fed, I don't think he'll mind all too much.

I'm sure he'll brighten up and become more "conventionally" beautiful under your care. They go through so much neglect at the stores, and it takes some TLC to get them back up to speed, so to speak.

Unless you give your shrimp plenty of hiding places, they'll probably be a snack. I've had little females take on huge ghost shrimp before and win! >_<

Anyways, Welcome!!
I live in Northern Lower, about an hour north of Traverse City, what about you?

Also, after doing some lurking on here, I decided to go back to the pet store and buy a few more plants, and hopefully a teeny tiny little filter because the tank I have didn't come with one. Once I get a filter, quite a few plants and the tank is doing good, I'm considering getting a Cory or two... I'm hoping that I will be able to upgrade to a 5 gallon, but I'm doubtful the boyfriend will be ok with that because I already have a few too many pets... Heh...
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

South East, Ann Arbor is about a 45 min drive East with a hint of North to it. (I love how we measure distance in time!) I've been to Traverse, and Leelanau. It's so beautiful up that way, lucky. We're in Farmville down here, only 1 decent "forest" around here for miles.

I have a whisper airline filter on my 2.5, and my favorite thing about it is that I can adjust the flow with a air valve. If it gets to be too much for the bettas, I can turn it down.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:43 PM   #9 
Shayla Fortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
South East, Ann Arbor is about a 45 min drive East with a hint of North to it. (I love how we measure distance in time!) I've been to Traverse, and Leelanau. It's so beautiful up that way, lucky. We're in Farmville down here, only 1 decent "forest" around here for miles.

I have a whisper airline filter on my 2.5, and my favorite thing about it is that I can adjust the flow with a air valve. If it gets to be too much for the bettas, I can turn it down.

Yeah, everyone seems to love it up here. For those of you that don't know, I live where people go to for a vacation. I can't stand the city, I hyperventilate in anything with the population over 3,000... I'm a country girl hehe.

Also, thanks for the recommendation, I looked it up online and found it on PetSmart.com do you think it will properly mount on circular tank? The tank I have is a cylinder, and is made of plastic... I don't want to buy it if it won't mount on the tank....
Old 03-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #10 
Rosalina

Hey I'm from Michigan too :) I'm a Grand Rapidian

Don't feel bad about your betta not eating yet. Mine wouldn't eat for almost a week, except for some bloodworms, and now he is a big piggie.

I think a 2.5 is just the right size for just a betta, nothing more. Don't be too worried though, bettas don't mind being alone. I too wanted something more than just one betta and got a 10 gallon w/out a lid for about 13 dollars at petsmart. I don't fill it up all the way so the betta doesn't jump out.

Here are (some) choices for tankmates with my experience, but many others will work.

Mystery Snails: Not the most entertaining, but they sure are cute. My betta did not like them personally. He tried to eat their feelers once and the snail got very scared and a week later. That was my case, but I've heard very good things about having snails too. Just be careful not to get a snail infestation.

Pros: Don't need a ton of space. Pretty to look at, variety of colors, adorable when they come out of their shell. Easy to feed.

Cons: The feelers caught the attention of my betta and he tried to take a bite out of them. When they die they also smell like the worse thing you have ever encountered in your life. They also make a lot of waste.

African Dwarf Frogs: They're cute too, I actually haven't had these myself, but someone I know does. They like to hide and if you have a hiding spot you may never ever see them again. They are also pretty much blind and feel for their food. So if you don't put their food right infront of them they'll starve.

Pros: Cute, swim up for air. Don't need too much space. Males can sing occasionally. Sounds like a buzzing.

Cons: Likes to hide, a lot. More difficult to feed. Can't be kept in a tall tank or they tire before they get to the surface for air. Can get caught on rocks and drown easily.

Corydoras: These are my current tank makes. I recommend them the most because they are so entertaining and are a great contrast to Bettas. However, they need a lot of room because they are so active. But it's fun to see them fly around the tank. My Bettas doesn't bother them, at first he did chase them but they are very fast. They also prefer sand, but I find gravel is fine as long as it's not big or sharp.

Pros: Entertaining. Easy to feed. Comes in a variety of patterns and colors. They swim up for air.

Cons: Need to be bought in groups of 3 or more. They like to school. They need at least 10gallons. More active at night.

When getting a tank mate, make sure to have a back up plan. When bringing home the tankmate, do a water change, move decorates, put the new tankmate in first, then the betta to help the betta be less aggressive to your new friend.
Rosalina is offline   Reply With Quote