Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 06:44 PM   #31 
Xaltd1

He's totally focused on the nest, and sometimes puts the eggs back. Poor baby! He looks exhausted.
Should I offer him food?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #32 
Myates

Most likely he won't touch the food. Why conditioning the male is very important.. the days/weeks spent eating multiple meals of high quality food (live, frozen, high brand pellets) a day should of built him up enough to sustain him during this time.

I wouldn't offer him any as if he doesn't eat it then it will sit and foul up the water as you don't want to go and mess with the tank by cleaning it out now (he may view you as a threat and eat the eggs).. and you don't want rotting food sitting there. Most males won't eat until days after being pulled.

If you are worried about him, you can pull him once all the fry have hatched, and then try to offer him food. A healthy betta can go a couple weeks with no food before side effects start to happen, if he was conditioned good then he shouldn't have trouble doing his job.

Plus, if he really wants food he will eat the eggs that aren't fertilized.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 PM   #33 
LittleBettaFish

If you have live foods like blackworms, you could put a couple of them in. My males sometimes like to have a snack or two when they are having a breather from guarding the nest/catching fry.

Because blackworms can live in an aquarium for quite some while (I always have a few kicking around) there is less chance of them polluting the water like Myates mentioned.

Otherwise he should be fine. Wait until the fry hatch. Then he will be a frantic father. Those fry always seem so determined to escape in all directions haha.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #34 
Xaltd1

Can/should I drip in some distilled water? (Or is regular "Primed" water good enough- it is hard) I have a top on, but I'd like to see some fresh water added to combat evaporation.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #35 
louisvillelady

At this point I would do as very little as possible to the tank. I know it hard not to help.lol, but Dad's got this for now. The eggs and fry are so very sensitive at first that the slightest change in water could mean a major problem. And I leave my Dads with fry well after free swimming, and I have found they really will not take food until fry are free swimming, or not until they give up the nest sometimes. I'd be afraid to put live food in for fear it may end up going through the nest and causing a lot more work for Dad. I sometimes think, between the conditioning, the stalking the tank waiting for embrace, worrying about Dads well being, that spawning is way harder on us than on the bettas.lol
louisvillelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #36 
Xaltd1

Oh, no kidding we're the wrecks!!! I haven't taken a shower in...?
I had the week off, so I've been obsessed. I am worried that Jack will die. I put Glow is back with her buddies; she seemed miserable in her QT tank. I'll be up late watching her. She is hanging closer to the bottom that usual, but she's gone up to each fish & they seem to know she's "one of them". She seems humbled, tired, and a little dazed. Can bettas get post-partum depression? I suppose, after having a hormonal firestorm rip through her, she's not going to feel like her aggressive little leader that she is. I just hope the others don't turn on her. So far, the others don't care that she's back.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #37 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
If you have live foods like blackworms, you could put a couple of them in. My males sometimes like to have a snack or two when they are having a breather from guarding the nest/catching fry.

Because blackworms can live in an aquarium for quite some while (I always have a few kicking around) there is less chance of them polluting the water like Myates mentioned.

Otherwise he should be fine. Wait until the fry hatch. Then he will be a frantic father. Those fry always seem so determined to escape in all directions haha.
I've been pumping both pair w/ live blackworms 1x per day (then reg hi-quality food for 2nd feeding) during the conditioning. I have a hundred million left over! I could give him a few.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #38 
LittleBettaFish

Just drop a couple in and see what he does. Not every male is going to freak out and eat his eggs/abandon his nest just because you do stuff to their tanks.

My wild males get their regular water changes even when they have nests and fry because I don't have separate spawning tanks. As long as you don't decimate the nest or stress him out too much he should be alright.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #39 
Xaltd1

That's why I wanted to add water: one edge of the nest is attached to the glass, and even though it's only down maybe 1/16th of an inch (which looks like a mile to me) I'm worried it will detach & get wrecked somehow.

Wow- wild types- do you have an info thread on that? Why did you choose wild types?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #40 
LittleBettaFish

I just posted in the massive 'wild species' thread in Betta Fish Care section of the board.

I just got sick of splendens. Too much fuss to be bothered stuffing around with them anymore.

Sometimes I miss them (especially my sorority), but mostly I don't haha.

Don't want to hijack your thread but just thought I would mention they were wilds in case people start thinking I was housing pairs of splendens together and jump me for it.