Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #51 
Myates

Hush LOL

I don't realize how much I type until I post it and I'm then like..

But it's hard.. there is so much info and everyone does it differently. I just want to help lol I also think if I skimp on descriptions, it could cause even more confusion than what I am already causing
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:23 PM   #52 
GhostFeather

Congratz on the spawn!
I saw your YouTube accounting of it,really interesting.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #53 
Xaltd1

My video? Thank you. It's amatuer hour, but I'm paying $$$ for this iPhone, so I may as well use it. I'll make another tomorrow; should almost be hatching time, I hope!!!

Myates, you shouls make a video, and also post pictures of your drip system. I'm designing mine in my head right now. I'm not sure what I'm doing. Is there a link?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #54 
Xaltd1

Wow- what kind of snail do you have? I have a few mature ramshorns (they seem to die pretty quickly for me-it's my Ph, probably)
But I have an army of RCS- and they just had babies. I'm amazed at their clean-up abilities.
Should I buy a better snail? :0) Or use some RCS's?
Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #55 
GhostFeather

I don't know how others do their drip systems,I do mine this way.
A 5 gallon plastic bucket,drill a hole near the bottom(just big enough for some airline tubing to fit in it)seal the inside and outside of the hole with aquarium grade silicone,let it sit for 24 hours.
Put a control valve on the end of the tubing,run more tubing to reach your tank with another control valve on the end of it.
Put a heater in the bucket.add treated water,and an IAL leaf,your ready to go and you can control the amount of water that drips in.
I have 4 of these set up all the time.
If I am not running any breeding tanks,I just top off the buckets as needed.
Bill
Old 03-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #56 
Myates

I personally would be scared some of the RCS would eat the tiny fry. I just use one adult mystery snail. I have a spawn log going in the spawn section.

As for my drip system.. it's hard to describe.. I have shelves and I use anywhere from glass gallon jars to water gallon jugs lol. Not using it now, but can set one up and take a picture to show.

But GhostFeather has you covered.. if you don't want to drill a hole into the bucket you don't have to.. as long as it's higher than the tank it will be fine.. gravity will make it work. You just have to make sure the airline tubing is secure to the bucket - duct tape, clothes pin, etc.

I purchased my control valve here.. I got lazy.. but I took off the hard plastic hook section and just used regular airline tubing to run from the (inside) bottom of the jugs to the control valve.. and then just used the tubing that came with it from the control valve to the tank itself. You will have to use your mouth or a turkey baster to get the suction going though.. I take off the tubing from the water container to the valve.. suck until the water starts then quickly stick the tube back on the valve.. expect some splashes lol
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:12 PM   #57 
GhostFeather

I was going to get a few of those drip systems,but I had bunch of these ones around,so I just use them on the tubing.
http://www.amazon.com/Jardin-Plastic...bing+connector
Still have to keep the buckets above the tanks or the water will not drain,they just give me the option of putting the buckets away from the tanks.
I have tubing running all over my basement,looks like the mad-scientist lab!!!

Last edited by GhostFeather; 03-15-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 PM   #58 
Xaltd1

Cool- I was going to use a gallon water bottle filled w/ treated water & nano heater. I'm thinking of poking a hole near the bottom & hot gluing an airline hose in the hole, then adding a control valve. I was going to put the container just above the tank, and refill it as necessary (I'll have to cut the gallon jug so the opening is wider. I don't want to risk spilling more than a whole gallon at a time (because I have).

Dad has attached part of the nest to the sponge filter that's in the tank. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm not sure when you fire up the filter...
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #59 
Jayloo

No babies still?
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #60 
Xaltd1

No babies!!
While I had the heater set over 82 degrees, I used my magnifying glass & noticed the thermometer was just under 80. I cranked the heater to 85ish. Since it's in front of a window & it's 28 degrees out, the heater isn't getting the entire tank up to where it should be.
I hope I haven't killed the eggs. Since this is my 1st spawn (and the 1st spawn for Mom & Dad betta) I guess I'd be surprised if I get 1 live baby.
I'm prepared for failure; I have live food on hand, but I haven't purchased any tub/tank for a grow-out. I've just done my homework for 500 fry & have decided what I'd buy, but I'm not rushing to the store until I see what happens. That was very hard! Like if buy something, it will guarantee the outcome.