Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 PM   #61 
Jayloo

The lower the temp the slower they will hatch so don't be discouraged. Maybe next time this experience will help with placing the tank somewhere warmer :p be careful with raising the temp too sudden though or making it too warm! The higher the temp the higher the babies metabolism which means need for more feedings which also means more water changing! Good luck and keep us updated!
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #62 
Xaltd1

My logic in my tank placement was to take advantage of the natural sunlight phases & the fact that it is almost spring- the ideal time to have babies! March in New England is a crap shoot, though (what month isn't around here); BUT it's been colder than normal this week. Oh, and more snow on Monday.
I love snow when I have enough $ to go skiing!!

If this doesn't work out, I may wait until the summer & try and outdoor spawn. We have no shortage on free live food: mosquito larvae, gnats, flys, etc...
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 PM   #63 
Jayloo

Never done that. I'd be scared due to the factors I could not control.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #64 
Xaltd1

But- that's what happens in nature! As long as I make sure they're getting food (we have a HUGE mosquito problem here & there are wigglers appearing overnight) After July 1 it's a freakin' rainforest in these parts. NE has extreme seasons.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:06 AM   #65 
Jayloo

Oh I'm not dissing the idea. Just me being the type A control freak that I am wouldn't do well in that situation. :]
Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #66 
Xaltd1

I'm type..D- how far does it go down? Opposite type 'A' for sure. I'm laid back to the max.
I'm a "if nature wants it to happen, it will" type.
I grew up w/ a number of ponds on our property (we had 28 acres); we had bluegills, koi, turtles, frogs...
I always scooped up the frog's eggs I found & let them hatch in one of our tanks (we kept tropical fish, too) and turned them loose in a pond... I adored watching the jelly mass turn into living things! Sometimes they were newt or salamander eggs, sometimes green frogs... I grew up as a little biologist! Unfortunately, my parents were not impressed by me bringing every living thing into the house. After I got married, my (now ex) husband (and later, my son) freaked out at the fact that I could cup spiders in my hand & let them loose; brought hatchling snakes/turtles inside to observe them, loved finding salamanders- I'm a nature nut.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #67 
Xaltd1

AND WE HAVE TAILS!!!! Houston, we have tails...

Just a few, though; they started around midnight; they aren't wiggling; should they be? And it's only about 1/10th of the eggs. Man, they are TEENY!!!

When should I start a drip on that water?
Old 03-16-2013, 04:34 PM   #68 
Jayloo

Don't drip water until after you feed them when they begin to free swim.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #69 
Xaltd1

AND we have free swimmers!!!
Oh, they are too funny! Two dots and a thread for a tail- Butch is grabbing them & stuffing them back in the nest sternly: apparently he feels they are too young to be anywhere else!
He's a great Dad, but he looks tired. He won't eat.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #70 
Myates

Don't offer food now that you know he won't eat - don't want to foul up the water as water quality is the main thing at this point.

I would wait until they are truly free swimming.. right now they are just falling out of the nest and darting back up. Once they actually are horizontal and dart sideways they can handle a bit more.. not much more.. but a bit more. I waited until I did my first water change to start dripping water into the tank.

Congrats!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote