Betta Fish Forum banner

Fins rotting from base - HELP!!

579 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  occipital 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, my betta (Occipital) is really sick :-(! He's getting on in age, so when I noticed his lethargy a week ago, I thought it was just because he was getting old. Since then, his bottom fin has started to decay and his condition is worsening.

I don't know what's wrong with him, and I'm worried I'm not treating him properly. Please help!! I've included some information here:

Housing
What size is your tank? Currently 1 gallon, moved from a 1.8 gallon tank.
What temperature is your tank? 78 - 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, and it's cycled.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta food pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day (8 pellets total)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day while sick; usually, every 2 weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aqua Conditioner Plus, Tetra SafeStart if it's a 100% change

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.4
Hardness: 150ppm
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Photo attached; holes appearing at the base of the fins, lightened color. He usually has the dark spots on his fins, so those aren't new. I noticed some slight white cottony strings floating around the aquarium today as well.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? At first, he either was darting around spastically or was lethargic. Now, he's just lethargic, either sitting on the bottom of the tank, floating at the top of the tank, or inside his Betta Log. When he floats, he seems to list off to one side. His appetite has not changed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? His behavior changed a week ago, but the holes only appeared three nights ago. The holes were very small at first, but the next morning when I looked at him, they had progressed dramatically. Since then, they have not gotten better or worse.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Aquarium salt (3 days), Triple sulfa (2 days so far)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had him for 3 years, and he was fairly large when he came from the pet store - so maybe 3.5 to 4 years old?

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Oops sorry -- forgot to mention that yes, I did a 100% water change and actually took out everything (Betta log, silk plant, gravel) the morning I noticed his fins had gotten so degraded. Also, I've tracked his tank's temperature before, and it's always stayed around 78-80 (I like my room temperature hot!). I think the light from the aquarium also keeps the water somewhat warm. In any case, there's a definite problem because I've never seen him so lethargic before.

Any other ideas :cry:?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.