Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #91 
jasonwuzthere

Well, I ended up going a different route. I just can't afford for the LED's to start screwing up while I'm short on cash or something, so I ended up picking up two architecture lamps from Walmart and some 20 watt 6500k CFL's. It's not nearly as nice looking as the LED's, but it's easy to repair if needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpws4ocenm...180552_417.jpg

My tanks are fairly new, so they aren't magnificent yet. hahaha
jasonwuzthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #92 
InfiniteGlory

Jason
well, we all have to start somewhere.

Kyle
I would like something like that too but it's difficult to find something under 12" and fits my budget.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #93 
kyle89

I'm gonna make one like that that goes over a glass lid with the replacement set of LEDs I got off eBay. I will post pictures when I get it started but that will probably be in a week or so
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #94 
InfiniteGlory

I look forward to your project. It may inspire me to change my hood since it has limited space. The feeding door is right in the middle which doesn't leave much area to mount anything unless it is in a single strip form.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #95 
kyle89

Well tomorrow is pay day so I may go to Lowes and pick up a few supplies and try to get something started. The most expensive thing for me will be the lid because i already have the LEDs. I just need to build a housing for them
Old 11-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #96 
InfiniteGlory

I started to look on Lowe's website and find small aluminum channel that I may try and use. It should allow me to make square LED strips that are completey covered in aquarium sealent so that the strips have a zero chance of getting wet.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #97 
sliderdkp

Fluval LED Lighting

I upgraded to the Fluval LED lighting, with moonlight. It is much brighter than the light that came with the Fluval 5 gal setup. Any comments? Could it be too bright? Does anyone use moon light? Appreciate any replies.
sliderdkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #98 
kyle89

I almost have the plexi glass lid finished with my pictures I'm still trying to figure out how to house the led lights over the lid. I wanted to use a gutter extension but its a inch too short
Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #99 
InfiniteGlory

Are you using the extension upside down as a reflector? That is a great idea. Even with end caps is the extension too short?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #100 
kyle89

never really thought of that. i always was told leds are directional and dont need a reflector. i actually got a 15 inch pvc extension and a coupling and am gonna split it in half to make the housing. right now i have around 25 dollars into the project including the leds. i plan on getting the housing built tonight or tomorrow so by monday i should have a rough diy to put up on here and am excieted.