Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 PM   #1 
betta0131

Question Betta Sorority?

Hi everyone! Im new to this site and I was thinking about having a sorority! I absolutely adore bettas so I bought a 20 gallon tank today and am beginning to cycle it. I was wondering how many bettas I should keep in there, I was thinking maybe 7-9, because I have 3 cory cats and 4 glowlight tetras that need to be moved into it. There were also some baby snails latched on some of my new plants I just don't want to overstock so I thought I would get some advice. I want to know as much as possible before I bring these little girls home! Also, does it matter which tail type they have? For example, could I keep halfmoons and veiltails together or should they all have the same tail type? Any extra info would be appreciated! Thanks!
betta0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:37 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

It does help if all the girls are sisters, but I'm about to build my second sorority with an HM, two longfin VTs, a dragon VT, a dragon PK and an HMPK, so it can be done with non-sisters. After all, bettas don't recognise different tail-types. :)

I would go with 6 bettas and build up your other two schools so that you have 6 tetras and 6 cories as well. That will nicely stock your tank and give your schooling fish the company that they thrive in. :)

The best tip I can give: plant and decorate like crazy! The fuller the better. You honestly cannot overfill a new sorority tank with decor. :)

All the best! Let me know if you have any other questions, and be sure to read the stickies. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:53 AM   #3 
betta0131

Ok, thank you! Do you know if it matters what type of cory they are? At the moment I have one bronze and two albino.
betta0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #4 
Bombalurina

Yes. All the cories need to be the same species. :) Albinos are the same species as bronze (corydoras aenaus), so you can get more bronzes or more albinos. :) You can also get a green cory (not to be confused with emerald cories, which are a totally different species and get quite large) that is the same species as the bronze and albino. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, sorority