Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 09:22 AM   #1 
betta0131

Question Cycling Question

I have a 20 gallon tank that I am in the process of cycling. I am going to get a sorority and there was a new shipment of bettas yesterday. I was wondering if I could get them now and quarantine them for a few weeks until my tank is fully cycled? I used some Tetra SafeStart and hopefully that will help boost the process. Also, will it be different if I have a bunch of live plants? I have 9 in there at the moment.
betta0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Safestart should help. But even then you can't rely on a cycle completing on any schedule.

A healthy, sane sorority should comprise at least six specimens. Are you equipped to hold them in temporary quarters for four or more weeks? If you bought them together from the same place a quarantine may not be necessary. Use your own judgement here. Or ask for further advice.

Plants make a difference---depending on the plants. Slow-growing "beginner" plants make little difference. Fast-growing root-feeders and floaters will absorb all the ammonia, if you have enough of them. This makes cycling less important.

Nine doesn't sound like a lot of plants in 29g. What kind are they? I'm sure you'll want a lot more plants (even silk plants) and hides, so the sorority members can avoid one another if they want.

Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Hallyx; 03-14-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

^Yep pretty much that.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:54 AM   #4 
betta0131

I am planning on getting 6 girls. I have a few silk plants, a pot, and a small cave. I have 2 amazon swords, 5 java fern, 1 anubias, and 1 anacharis. Im getting more plants soon, I just didn't think you could put very many plants in at once, or does it not matter? It is a 20 gallon.
betta0131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The Anacharis and Sword are good ammonia eaters; the rest not so much.

You definitely want more plants---as many as you can handle---especially floaters like Watersprite or mini Water lettuce for water quality. You want shade, topcover and resting spots. Floating Anubias works well for this. Anubias and Java fern tied down for cover. Yes, more silk plants, if you want to get into planted tanks slowly. And more hides, rocks, cups, driftwood and such. You might ask in the plant section for more recommendations.

The tank should look crowded with short sightlines.

You should be planning on stocking all at once, so it would be good to get your plants active. Your cycle will take care of itself. Just keep a close eye on your parameters and be prepared for 50% water changes if anything gets out of line.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote