Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

How likely is a betta to heal if it's gotten sores (not my doing)

I have beautiful white double moon veiltail I took home- overnight it is showing sorenesss or redness near it's gills but not inside them. It was another poor fish stuck in dirty water. The inside of it's cup had algae growing on the lid so I don't think Petco ever changed his water. He has minor fin rips also. The fish is alert swimming and looking ok otherwise. Is there hope to heal him up? Will saltwater do the trick or should I go with something else? His temporary housing will be filtered, heated 2 gallon tank. I can post pics a little later today.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:06 PM   #2 
Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I have beautiful white double moon veiltail I took home- overnight it is showing sorenesss or redness near it's gills but not inside them. It was another poor fish stuck in dirty water. The inside of it's cup had algae growing on the lid so I don't think Petco ever changed his water. He has minor fin rips also. The fish is alert swimming and looking ok otherwise. Is there hope to heal him up? Will saltwater do the trick or should I go with something else? His temporary housing will be filtered, heated 2 gallon tank. I can post pics a little later today.
For now warm clean water will help him the most, I would use some AQ salt of 1/2 to 1 full teaspoon per gallon pre-dissolved and keep a close eye on him, to see if he is actually sick or not, It's hard for any of us to tell with no pic, don't use the aq salt for more than 10 days.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

Here they are:

This picture is double from his reflection:

The fin area which is reddened and has some round white spots but IMO are not ich:

If you look at photos near his eye that is where the irritation is.

Last edited by jadaBlu; 03-14-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: picture posted twice
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
For now warm clean water will help him the most, I would use some AQ salt of 1/2 to 1 full teaspoon per gallon pre-dissolved and keep a close eye on him, to see if he is actually sick or not, It's hard for any of us to tell with no pic, don't use the aq salt for more than 10 days.
+1
but I think it could be part of who he is, my Curious Grace have similar gill color.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

He is in his temporary tank now (he's very happy) and I think you might be right this is a very translucent fish with pearling. He looks like a little fairy swimming around the tank! The fins will need a little healing. I told myself I was a little crazy for getting such a delicate looking fish. Nothing but silk for this this fish or I might have to try a live plant in this case.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #6 
sainthogan

My guess is that those sores and redness are most likely from ammonia poisoning from being in that tiny little cup with few or no water changes. Keep his water clean and warm, and he'll get better.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #7 
Myates

Might be his coloration or ammonia burns.. ammonia poisoning kills, but it will burn the gills.

As mention, just keep him in clean water and warmed and he will be fine.

Oh.. and "white double moon veiltail" is actually a clear grizzled (at this point as no color has come through the pictures, but may end up a pineapple color) doubletail delta - there is no such thing as a moon veiltail - there are HMs = halfmoons, and OHM = over halfmoons. Veiltails are a completely different tail type/look. And white.. is well.. white like snow :) He will be a cutie once he gets settled in!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 PM   #8 
jadaBlu

This fish is happily a new tank. I don't think it is actually sores just his coloring. I might need to name this fish some sort of ghostly name because he is nearly invisible.
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #9 
jadaBlu

Now that he is a tank with heated water this is how he looks:

Scroll up to see the before
Old 03-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #10 
farmgirl598

WOW! What a beauty and thank you for saving him.....the word that comes to mind when i see him is "Gossamer".
farmgirl598 is offline   Reply With Quote