Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 PM   #1 
NeptunesMom

House Hunters Betta Style

The Story:

In 2012, a betta named Neptune let me know that he was looking for a change. He was living in a cramped space, with many distracting betta neighbors, and human people were constantly coming by and picking up his cup. You know how it is. . I got to work and found him a great 2.5 g home. He loved the upgrade, but contacted me again in May to let me know he wanted me to find him a room mate. He was kinda tired of living alone. So I set off to find him the perfect match. I found it in a snail named Charles the Snail the Short (he was a very regal golden mystery snail).

Charlie and Neptune soon decided that a 2.5 g was not big enough for them so they asked me to find them a bigger home. I found them a 10 g that was available. They toured it and fell in love. They moved into the 10 g and everything was peaceful until that summer when Eponine (the pretty but oh so distracting female betta) moved in next door. Neptune was so excited and distracted by her that I asked her to build a privacy fence with aquarium background, and she did. Everything was peaceful again.

Then Eponine decided she wanted a room mate too. So I went out and found her Astrild, a black mystery snail with a no nonsense attitude. They were a match perfect on paper, but unfortunately Eponine has too big of an attitude and they did not get along. Astrild moved out, and having nowhere to go Charlie and Neptune invited her to live with them. Everything went well for a couple weeks, then Charlie became sick. He passed away, leaving Neptune and Astrild to mourn his passing.

Neptune seemed so sad, that I decided to find him a friend that would remind him of Charlie. Now, that was a mistake, because you always ask the client first. You should not go out room mate hunting without their permission. But, I did it. . Cupid moved in with Neptune and Astrild. Well, this is where the problem developed. Cupid and Astrild alone would be okay, but together they are super messy. Neptune's house become so dirty he became sick and had to move out until it could be cleaned. He moved into a 2.5 g while he waited for the cleaning crew to fix up his old home.

The Question:

Neptune has recovered from his fin rot. He is still tail biting (he has always been a tail biter). I am concerned to put him back into the 10 g. Only Astrild and Cupid have been in it (along with a herd of pond snails who hitched a ride on some anacharis last summer), but the water is awful. Even cleaning it twice a week the water is coming up into the hose of the gravel vacuum really dark and lots of debris is floating in it. I am conflicted about putting Neptune back in the 10 g. I do not think I can keep it clean enough for him. He seems okay in the 2.5 g, but I feel bad about him being in such a small tank. Also, I do not have enough outlets to plug in a heater for the snails 10 g, Eponine's 10 g and Neptunes 2.5 g. Right now the snails have no heater. Will they be okay without a heater? Do you think it's okay to leave Neptune in the 2.5 g? If not, how would you handle this situation?
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #2 
Fishy Mom

I love, love, love your story. It was so much fun to read I didn't want it to end! Any chance you can rehome the snail to a friend with an aquarium so you can put Neptune back in his home?
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:37 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Mystery snails can tolerate room temperature water. :)

Debris in and of itself is not really a problem. If I ever properly cleaned the gravel in my tank (I can't, because there are too many plants in the way) the water would be mud. It's disgusting. However, my ammonia and nitrites are 0 and my nitrates are 5. Those are the important values. I would get a test kit and check those levels, rather than going by visible dirt. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #4 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
I love, love, love your story. It was so much fun to read I didn't want it to end! Any chance you can rehome the snail to a friend with an aquarium so you can put Neptune back in his home?
Thanks. I am better at story telling than describing situations, so I decided to turn the situation into a story. And, it makes it more interesting to read.

I tend to be very possessive about my animals. I thought about trying to rehome, but I think I'd just drive whoever crazy with constantly checking in on them.

Bombalurina: That's good to know. I will not worry about the water temp then. I have a test kit, maybe I'll wait and test it before I change it next time.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #5 
Jexx

why not put the snails in the 2.5 gallon and put Neptune back in his 10 gallon?
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #6 
NeptunesMom

I don't think 2 mystery snails in a 2.5 g would be a good idea. They are dirtying up a 10 g every couple days. I can't imagine that water changes on a 2.5 g.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #7 
Jexx

hmmm yes you do have a point there. Sorry :) I can't think of any other solution.. i've only had one cup of coffee so far this morning. I am usually a good problem solver though. I 'll try to think of something else!
Jexx is offline   Reply With Quote