Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #1 
jrsoccer190

White Ring Around Eye

My betta has formed a white ring around his eye and it seems that his eye that has the ring around it is bigger than his other. I do not have any solution or salt to solve remedy. I am in college and wont be going home for another week. I put him on the New Life Spectrum Betta Formula from recommendation from you guys about a week ago. Heres a picture. What should I do?
Name:  photo-17.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  39.0 KB
jrsoccer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #2 
callistra

That's popeye. It's usually caused by not enough water changes resulting in poor quality water conditions.

More info is needed:http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #3 
jrsoccer190

Housing
What size is your tank? 5
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? New Life Spectrum
How often do you feed your betta fish? 8 pellets a day 4 twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50 %
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No I do not own a water test kit

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes has a white ring around eye and is enlarged
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? None
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 Months
Old 03-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #4 
callistra

Well I'm looking back on your threads and it looks like this tank has only been set up since February.. about a month and a half ago.

Since you don't own a water kit you have no way of knowing if this is fully cycled and cycling can take up to two months. If you have been doing only 50% weekly this whole time your boy has had to suffer through very high ammonia and nitrite spikes and this is the cause of his popeye.

You needed to (and still do) be testing daily with a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and doing an extra 50% change any time you see either. show up, even as little as .25ppm. In addition to this a weekly 50% with siphon is needed to remove poop and other debris from the gravel. It is not enough to just scoop water off the top ever.

First you will see ammonia, then nitrite. Eventually, hopefully, you will see ammonia fall and stay at 0 even after a week of no water changes, and finally nitrite. At this point you will be left with only nitrates after a full week of no changes and these can be kept <20ppm by weekly 50% change with siphon.

My last concern is what filter you are using and how you maintain it? The problem with filters for small tank is they often only contain one type of media. That media must be replaced monthly because of the carbon addition, but replacing all media at the same time will wipe our most of your biofiler and restart your cycle. Your filter may need some modifying as well

At this point I would do a series of 3 50% water changes back to back, an hour a part. Then get a test kit and keep up on your changes. Do all changes like this and you won't shock him:

Quote:
The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.
I would also get some epsom salts - 100% pure magnesium sulfate with no additives of any kind. I get mine at CVS Pharmacy. You should predissolve it outside the tank at 1 tsp per gallon and add slowly over an hour. Salts do not evaporate or break down, so you only need to add more along with a water change, and then only add back as much as water you remove/replace. Leave him in the salts 2 weeks. Then you can discontinue adding them along with a water change and phase them out slowly like that.

The increased water changes, closer monitoring of cycling, potentially modifying of his filter, and epsom salts will hopefully be all that's needed. Sometimes there is a residual infection from this as well, but since his eye is still clear hopefully no more will be needed

Last edited by callistra; 03-14-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #5 
jrsoccer190

Okay so I am going to do the 50% water changes over the course of 3 hours. I do not have a drop kit or water kit and I cannot get them. Firstly, I do not have a car on campus and I cant drive to the local pet store to get these. Secondly I have only 30 dollars left in my account that needs to last me the rest of the semester (5 weeks) and I need art supplies so that will cut into my money. So buying test kits at this point is not an option for me.

The filter I have says its a three part system. It contains a carbon filter and a bio-wheel. I replace the filter monthly. I have used a syphon each time I do a water change to get the food and poop off the bottom. Finally, I am hoping that there is episom salt down in my market located in my building. If there is I can get some there and do the salt treatment.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #6 
callistra

You should never replace all filter media at once. You should only replace one type of filter media within a month, and the best filters have 3 different types of media, including a good size sponge. However, most of these small only contain one type of media that needs to be replaced monthly due to it containing carbon. Every time you replace all the media at once you wipe out most of your biofiler and basically start your cycle over again. The surface area available to grow this biofilter is also usually completely inadequate to support the load of the fish.

You may be able to modify your filter by removing the carbon bags and replacing it with two filter sponges that only need to be replaced every 12 months to a year, and replace them at least a month a part. If it already has a sponge in it that's great. Carbon definitely does need to be replaced monthly, but it's not necessary for your fish's health.

It sounds like the filter isn't doing much for you at this point I would increase water changes to 50% mid week and 100% by week's end. The filter will at least circulate the water and allow it to be heated equally, but I do need to point out that biowheels aren't good for betta because they create too much surface movement. Are you sure your boy isn't being bothered by the current?

You just need to be really careful that the epsom salts is pure and there are not additives.. it should be white and not have a smell. If you check the ingredients label it should be pure magnesium sulfate. No dyes, perfumes or anything else.

Last edited by callistra; 03-14-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #7 
jrsoccer190

I think he is.. I actually stopped the biowheel because it was creating a lot of bubbles and unneeded movement. I do have carbon filters and they are placed horizontally rather than vertically so the water doesn't sit in a pool and then flow through the filter..I have a sponge that is used on my other tank with an addition of the filter in that one. Should I replace the filter or no?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #8 
jrsoccer190

I modified my filter and put in a sponge along with the carbon filter..I shut off the biowheel and have performed the 3 water changes. I am going to pick up some drops for testing for ammnoia and nitrate and also getting some epsom salt. 100 percent pure magnesium sulfate kind. That is really all I can afford to get. Hopefully this gets him better