Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Is it better to have gravel rather than not?

I know it isn't a requirement, but is gravel helpful for the fish? Does it make the fish feel more at home in his tank?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #2 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I know it isn't a requirement, but is gravel helpful for the fish? Does it make the fish feel more at home in his tank?
not IME, they actually like hiding places better e.g. plants, decor.
in another words, bottom of the tank will not affect the quantity and quality of the excretion.
I find it easier to clean my QT tank since it has no substrates.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

+1 with Otter, its more for your visual than anything else. If you have plants you want to anchor then its good. I have gravel in all but 2 of my tanks because it like the look. It does however give another place for BB to grow.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #4 
Freyja
Banned

Like Shellieca said, it's more for look. I have gravel in my 20g because I have rooted plants and one of my 2.5gs because that one also has rooted plants. My small grow-out has no gravel. My other 2.5g only has floating plants so no gravel there either.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:37 PM   #5 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I am not sure how will this applies to bettas since they are domestic, but most fish species feel more comfortable on a dark substrate. Even light coloured fish think they blend in better on a sand or even black substrate, and helps boost their confidence. Unnatural and bright colors can make certain fish withdraw.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Hmm idk! I have almost neon substrate with blue, green, pink, and purple gravel and my boy seems chill...so does it matter? Is it better for the fish to have it? What about if you had a bare-bottom on a dark stand?
Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #7 
AkaRyu

I have a natural looking river rock for my substrate. The LFS here sells it for 80 cents a pound, and I prefer the natural look myself plus the rocks are smooth so I don't worry about him ripping any fins!
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #8 
Sparrowhawk

I had bare-bottom tanks for all my fish until I decided to have plants other than anubias, java fern and floaters, and my boys seemed just fine. They did have an awful lot of other stuff to keep them occupied though.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

I know it looks nice :) but does it really do any good for the fish? If you have a good enough filter, you shouldn't need it for BB
Old 03-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

I am finding a lot of mixed info as to whether substrate is really important for the BB...which is it?