Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #1 
TankDiveGirl

Question: Rubbermaids?

Hi Everyone!

I'm going to start setting up a betta breeding area in my apartment (that will be moved to my "big house" when i'm finished with my MS. (Long story short: In grad school, living in apartment in the town where my school is, but own a house with my fiancee in the town where i will do my PhD and later settle). I had the idea to do a rack system like one would do with snakes using various sizes of rubbermaids, and then plumbing each for central filtration via sump. (That way I can keep the heaters away from the fish and make sure the filtration is good.) Each tank will also be able to be isolated from the others (gang valves) and filtered via sponge filter if necessary...

Do any of you use rubbermaids to hold your fish? And if yes, what sizes?

I'm sure i'll ask more questions about this as I start to get it drawn together.... I do have an idea of what I want in my head, but it's been so long since Ive had any quantity of fish that it'll probably take me a little while to get my brain back up and running ;)

Thanks in advance!
Jamie
TankDiveGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #2 
KnzD

I have heard of people using Rubbermaid containers as aquarium tanks. Whether it is safe or not I don't know. I don't think they should be dangerous especially the clear ones that are not painted. Making sure the container is not cracked, doesn't have holes and its structure is rigid with little "wobble" should be enough.
As for size I have no idea. I am relatively new to the world of Betta fish.

Also there are always people willing to trade or selling aquariums for cheap in the listed sections of papers or sites like Craiglists. Might be worth to take a look.
KnzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #3 
JBonez423

I've had it suggested to me to use clear rubbermaid containers for breeding, so I'm sure you're fine. That's what my breeding operation will look like. It might look a little immature, but if you think about it, you'll be able to buy as many as you need to keep your fry comfortable. And you could always add another container, whereas a new aquarium is costly and not usually something people can buy at the drop of a hat, say if you ended up with more fry than you expected.

I'm not sure about size, but I myself would probably get the biggest because you could always section it off!
JBonez423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

I use sterelite clear storage bins but i'm assuming rubbermaid ones would be no different. Hell, I even used the veggie crisper from a brand new fridge, then i stole the crispers when i moved out

The only thing is- some of them tend to bow out when filled with water - so you want to look for ones with thicker sides if you are getting big storage bins. I am not sure how much water pressure the really large ones are capible of holding. I have ones between 2-25ish gallons and never had any issues.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-13-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #5 
JBonez423

Tikibirds, that looks great! =]
Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #6 
jadaBlu

If you want cheap but really good sponge filter for your operation try these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI Tubing that fits can be found at Petsmart.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:03 AM   #7 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Tikibirds, that looks great! =]
It houses my snails when they reproduce. I hate it when sellers send ones that are like this big -->o Trapdoors dont lay eggs, they give birth to one live snail a day for a few days so its not too bad of a setup although I could probably used 3X the filtration
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

I've used 3 and 5 gallon rubbermaids for hospital tanks with great success. :) They don't seem to bother the fish at all. My only issue with them as a permanent tank, is that it's very hard to see into them well, as they are not clear. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Just make sure it is HDPE and you are good to go :) It should say whether it is or not near the recycling symbol, which will have a "2" in the triangle.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:05 PM   #10 
JBonez423

If only they made 5-10 gallon critter keepers, no one would have this problem... ;]