Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #21 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Now the main thing I'm worried about is whether or not it will stress out the betta... Does anyone know whether it would or not?
My $0.02:
Try it out without substrate and see if the fish is stressed out, look for stress stripes, clamped fins, staying at the bottom.

If not, check and see if you are stressed out by the lack of substrate. If fish is not stressed out by the lack of substrate, it's your call as owner and master of the fish.

Every betta is different, my betta (male, female, and baby) did fine without substrate in the QT tank.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:28 AM   #22 
Bombalurina

It might if it is reflective. That's the only reason I can think it would stress a betta out.

In my hospital tank (which does have a reflective base) I've laid IAL out as the substrate. Seems to be working well. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 AM   #23 
shellieca

IMO/E, it does not matter if you have a substrate or not. You can put something under the tank to help with reflective issues. I've put a colored towel under one bare bottom tank because the Betta seemed to be staring at the bottom of the tank too much & trying to get at specks on the counter, the fish didn't look stressed but it bothered me. As with anything when it comes to a Betta, try it to see how your Betta reacts, what stresses one may not stress another.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #24 
finnfinnfriend

Okay...so it seems like based on all of your experiences, bettas do just fine in bare-bottom tanks, correct?
finnfinnfriend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #25 
Otterfun

Quote:
Okay...so it seems like based on all of your experiences, bettas do just fine in bare-bottom tanks, correct?
in general, I'd say yes, but you still have to see if your betta is in the "general" group since each betta is different. Who knows maybe the substrate may stress the betta out versus one without substrate. But i'd suggest you taking the time to observe any stress level when you put him in one with or without substrate so you can remedy the situation ASAP.

if you do not have time to observe, he might be experiencing stress and you would not have known.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #26 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
in general, I'd say yes, but you still have to see if your betta is in the "general" group since each betta is different. Who knows maybe the substrate may stress the betta out versus one without substrate. But i'd suggest you taking the time to observe any stress level when you put him in one with or without substrate so you can remedy the situation ASAP.

if you do not have time to observe, he might be experiencing stress and you would not have known.
Would you need to put a bare-bottom tank on a light surface though? I have been reading about bettas having problems with backgrounds, especially dark ones, and a bare-bottom is like having a background on the bottom.../:
Old 03-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #27 
Otterfun

Quote:
Would you need to put a bare-bottom tank on a light surface though? I have been reading about bettas having problems with backgrounds, especially dark ones, and a bare-bottom is like having a background on the bottom.../:
mine are fine with bare bottom.
But they flare if I wear black and last time I had to remove the AQ background (stone photo by Marina for $8 from PetCo). He was flaring and darting around the back wall immediately.

So, I'd say you would know if your betta does not like or is stressed by something, their response are pretty immediate IME.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #28 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
mine are fine with bare bottom.
But they flare if I wear black and last time I had to remove the AQ background (stone photo by Marina for $8 from PetCo). He was flaring and darting around the back wall immediately.

So, I'd say you would know if your betta does not like or is stressed by something, their response are pretty immediate IME.
Do you have your tanks on dark surfaces?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:09 PM   #29 
Otterfun

Quote:
Do you have your tanks on dark surfaces?
not dark, just a light silver grey dinner placemat from IKEA.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #30 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
not dark, just a light silver grey dinner placemat from IKEA.
Is that because you have experienced them stressing out on darker surfaces before?