Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #1 
Otterfun

gettnig ready for my girls

Check and ready:
  • 12g tank
  • seeded Biomax in tank for 3 weeks already
  • plants ready to exit QT (Italian Visalia, Hygrophilia, hair grass, anacharis, java moss that I will be attaching to rocks and mabe make a mat for my RCS, java fern)
  • sanitized 50W heater
  • Floramax
  • some real zebra rocks QTed in boiling water and air dried 3 weeks
  • thermometer
  • RCS adults, Yo the Snail (leaving the 4 amano and RCS babies in the SPEC V which I think will be my plants tank or maybe housing for unsocialized not sick bettas.
OK, girls will come by end of March
Now I know why we have baby showers, maybe I should have a betta shower....hahahaha

thanks anemaki for sending over the girls soon.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sounds like a good set up. I have a question, you say "seeded biomax in tank for 3 weeks" is that in your new tank? If so, what is your ammonia source to keep the BB alive (snails & RCS)? Just curious.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #3 
Fishy Mom

I'll bring a little qt tank with a heater, betta food, and toys stuffed in it as a gift for your betta shower, lol. Post pics when you get the girls!
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #4 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Sounds like a good set up. I have a question, you say "seeded biomax in tank for 3 weeks" is that in your new tank? If so, what is your ammonia source to keep the BB alive (snails & RCS)? Just curious.
Snail, amano, and RCS to keep the ammonia in the planted tank going.
Tekkguy suggested using the slot for my carbon filter in my SPEC V for a bag of gravel. I ended up getting another bag of BioMax and stick it in the slot, so it has been in the "old" SPEC V tank for 3 weeks (2 Biomax, no carbon filter). So when I set up my new Marineland 12g tank, I will bring the Biomax over to the new filter area and see how I can fit it there.

I still love my SPEC V so I probably use it as a planted shrimp tank to grow my plants, besides, my girls need room...

0 ammonia & nitrite for 1 month and counting, but nitrates have to be monitored to be 40 or less. Still working on that but the shrimps are alive and the amanos grew from 0.75" to 1.5" in 2 months, and I just realized I got 8 baby RCS roaming in the tank OUTSIDE the breeder box where the parents are kept for now.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
I'll bring a little qt tank with a heater, betta food, and toys stuffed in it as a gift for your betta shower, lol. Post pics when you get the girls!
LIKE , maybe I will have a pastel pink theme...
Old 03-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #6 
Dene

Betta shower? I better be invited! xD That sounds awesome. I should make an event for one on FB next time I get a betta... see if anyone takes me seriously.
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #7 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene View Post
Betta shower? I better be invited! xD That sounds awesome. I should make an event for one on FB next time I get a betta... see if anyone takes me seriously.
hey if you are in SoCal, I will come if I am able.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #8 
Crowntails

Sounds good!
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
Snail, amano, and RCS to keep the ammonia in the planted tank going.
Tekkguy suggested using the slot for my carbon filter in my SPEC V for a bag of gravel. I ended up getting another bag of BioMax and stick it in the slot, so it has been in the "old" SPEC V tank for 3 weeks (2 Biomax, no carbon filter). So when I set up my new Marineland 12g tank, I will bring the Biomax over to the new filter area and see how I can fit it there.

I still love my SPEC V so I probably use it as a planted shrimp tank to grow my plants, besides, my girls need room...

0 ammonia & nitrite for 1 month and counting, but nitrates have to be monitored to be 40 or less. Still working on that but the shrimps are alive and the amanos grew from 0.75" to 1.5" in 2 months, and I just realized I got 8 baby RCS roaming in the tank OUTSIDE the breeder box where the parents are kept for now.
OOK, I remember reading that thread. Thanks for the clarification.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote