Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #1 
Psylk87

Thoughts, opinions, and help?

SO brought me home a spurr of the moment suprise. He picked up a betta from Walmart.

I love it and think he is really pretty but I didnt have any spare tanks so SO then went and picked up a little 3 gallon tank. Since he already bought the fish I couldnt cycle it and I have heard anything smaller than a 5a gallon wont ever properly cycle anyway... So what can I do to give him the best chance? I used Prime to treat the water and used a little water from one of my other tanks. Also a bit of RO water. I pulled plants out of my other tank as well as a spare betta leaf hammock i had hoping they would have some bacteria on them. The tank has a small filter and has a heater.

What else should I do to give him the best chance? I know its terrible not to cycle first but I didn't know SO was going to buy him and I hate returning bettas to Walmart since they are treated pretty bad. Any and all thoughts welcome and appreciated.

Here are some pics of the little guy:

Psylk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

It's not that terrible to not cycle first. :) Many members keep their bettas in unfiltered tanks, after all. You just need to do the water changes to make up for it.

Apart from some problems with his tail-tip, he looks pretty good to me!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #3 
Psylk87

How often? 30-50% weekly? or more often?
Psylk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

2 x 50% per week, cleaning the substrate at least one of those times. This sticky is very helpful: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758.
:)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote