Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 AM   #1 
bniebetta

Exclamation Nitrite Problem

Ok, so yesterday I got a cheap water test kit because it's all I can afford right now (it's the dipstick kind). It said that my nitrite level was in the "danger zone" so I did a 100% water change. The tank is 1.7, unfiltered, no live plants. Up until that point I was doing 70% weekly water changes for about 2 weeks (haven't had him for very long). I didn't rinse and lightly scrub everything in the tank like I usually do because I thought the nitrite level might be from me over-cleaning things. My 1 gallon bowl that houses my smaller fish had great water params when I also checked it yesterday. I checked them both again tonight and the 1 gallon bowl was still perfect but the 1.7 tank showed the nitrites in the "stress zone" area. How could the nitrites have risen to that level in just 24 hours? I understand what new tank syndrome is but I didn't think nitrites could skyrocket like that. The fish seems to be acting completely normal and isn't showing any signs of stress that I can see.

Someone please help me understand what is going on :/
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #2 
ryancalif

Nitrites are a good indicator that your tank is cycling at least. Keep with the water changes... 50% every other day should be good.

I myself just finished cycling my betta tank today. I know exactly what you're going through right now. For the last week I had been relentlessly changing the water... like 50% each day, and each day I tested, the tank was way over normal (like > 2 ppm). It was getting ridiculous. But all of the hard work paid off as when I checked today, I had 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia.

But the nitrite stage is definitely annoying because of the frequent water changes and long duration. Keep at it though and you'll eventually start seeing those nitrites drop.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #3 
kyle89

The ops tank is not filter so they are not cycling it. A tank under 2 gallons the water should be changed twice a week. 1 50% 1 100% change

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Last edited by kyle89; 03-15-2013 at 01:11 AM.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #4 
ryancalif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle89 View Post
The ops tank is not filter so they are not cycling it. A tank under 2 gallons the water should be changed twice a week. 1 50% 1 100% change

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
If he/she is getting nitrite readings, his/her tank is cycling. You don't need a filter to cycle a tank, it just helps.

Last edited by ryancalif; 03-15-2013 at 01:22 AM.
ryancalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 AM   #5 
kyle89

Cycling in a sense. It hard to cycle a 2.5 gallon with a filter let alone a 1.7 without. With doing 100 percent water change it would be hard to get a stable cycle. There is no oxygen being created to help bb growth and not much surface for it to grow on. Twice a week water changes should be preformed

Last edited by kyle89; 03-15-2013 at 01:31 AM.
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote