Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 03:13 PM   #1 
LadyVictorian

Female Not Getting Eggy

So I have been conditioning my pair for a few days and am baffled. My female shows signs of wanting to breed but isn't full of eggs yet. She has gotten a little bigger but not much so what does this mean? Is she ready, is she just producing less eggs than average? This is her first time so I am not sure what to expect from her just yet.
LadyVictorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #2 
Option

If its only been a few days, then it's going to take longer than that. I fed a virgin female (my most recent spawn) twice the amount for almost a month before I released her into the spawn tank. How did u figure she is eager to breed? Stripes?
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #3 
LadyVictorian

No she has been trying to follow the male when she is near him for her daily 5 minute exposure to him and if he approaches her she swims head down. She's too light for breeding stripes unfortunatly.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #4 
Jayloo

Leave them together for longer moments and feed more.. 3-4 x a day!
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #5 
Jayloo

You could also put them in a divided tank. This way their pharamones will mix and increase arousal.
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #6 
Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyVictorian View Post
No she has been trying to follow the male when she is near him for her daily 5 minute exposure to him and if he approaches her she swims head down. She's too light for breeding stripes unfortunatly.
The whole "swimming with head down" is not what you think. The females will usually only do this immediately before they embrace and when they are both underneath the nest. And when she does do this swim, all of her fins are clamped down and she will waddle around like a unhealthy dying fish (with her head down of course). But you won't normally see this when they're still both separated & usually not during the conditioning phase.

As for the vertical breeding stripes, I wouldn't worry about that either. My darker females never showed this either....even during a spawn. For now, I would just fatten her up by feeding her generously. Lastly, I would allow more than just 5-mins per day of exposure time. I would let them see each other for at least 30-mins per day.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #7 
LadyVictorian

Alright, I have put her to 5 small meals a day now, keeping the male at 4 as he doesn't need more food he's such a cow as it is. Also increasing to 30 minutes exposure time. Is it okay to float her in the males tank for the 30 minutes rather than pull the card between the tanks? Would it be better to float her in his terf or no?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Basically either way works. I'd rather use the divider thus not moving her/her tank.

Some females are just plain thinner than others, specially HM. But surprisingly they will lay the same amount of eggs as the fat/eggy ones. But it is always a good idea to fatten her up before you breed her. Some may take longer to fatten up. But fat - thin isn't a determinant of readiness.

About the head down thing, I agree with option - it's hard to spot ibefore they are together.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #9 
Myates

One of my girls really didn't have much of a belly on her.. but she spawned within a few hours of introduction and they gave me over 550 fry. So sometimes they have more eggs in them than we know :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote