Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #1 
stichez

Question live food?

I have read that as part of conditioning your fish for breeding you can feed them live food such as brine shrimp or blood worms, but I am having trouble finding live ones. All I have seen locally is freeze dried or frozen. Can anyone suggest some good resources for buying live food?
stichez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Depending on where you live and weather....Mosquito larva are the best to use for conditioning breeders IMO/E...Mass feed them and an already healthy, nutritiously sound Betta will be ready in 3-4 days. Otherwise, good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals 4-6 times a day using processed foods.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 AM   #3 
stichez

thank you. mosquito larva will be an option for me once the weather gets warmer. i guess ill just used processed foods for now or maybe ill go get some sea monkeys at toys r us lol
Old 03-15-2013, 10:44 AM   #4 
caissacrowntails

if u can get frozen bloodworm, I think it's okay, I use it also. Or maybe u can try shrimp. peel, dip in boiled hot water for about 5 mins or so ( I never count the time exactly ) to sterilize, chop it to tiny pieces ( betta mouth size ) or just put it in a food processor if u have one, just don't put too much since the shrimp meat may get rotten in the tank, try to give your betta a tiny piece first, see if he/she likes it ( mine usually does ).
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #5 
JJChocolate88

Me too

I'm trying to condition for breeding as well and i had the same trouble as you. I think you really need to go to a specialized aquarium store to get good quality, live food. I just purchased the frozen Hikari blood worms and brine shrimp and been feeding them that. They really like it.

I read online that if you can't find the live ones, then the frozen is the next best bet.
JJChocolate88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 AM   #6 
stichez

thank you everyone i will try your suggestions. also i read in another thread that red cherry shrimp will breed in your tank and that the bettas can eat those. anyone know anything about that?

Tags
conditioning bettas, live food