Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #1 
futurevet

Baby Betta Question

Hi, new here! I have kept bettas for a while but never baby bettas. I am feeding him brine shrimp when they hatch out, but other than that, just crushed flakes. He is in a long flat critter keeper right now, but I have a 10 gallon tank that is being set up. Today we are getting new plants for it! Anyways, since he is so small, I was wondering if I should leave him in the smaller critter keeper, rather than the 10 gallon for a while. The only problem is that I am going on vacation soon here and no one will be coming to clean his tank.
Attached Images

futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #2 
Alcemistnv

I'm not sure about the takn changes in the 10 gallom, but baby bettas release stunt hormones and if kept in a tank for too long can become stunted and cause other problems.

I have mine in a 1.75 gallon with every day changes, but you might be okay with a 10 gallon and filter.
Is he going to be bed for the time you are gone?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #3 
Fishy Mom

Is your 10g cycled? Is someone going to be feeding the baby while you're away?
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #4 
futurevet

The tank is not cycled, but I can use stuff from the tank I have him in and something from my other tank to help I guess. He won't have anyone feeding him, unless I leave him in the smaller tank, I could take him to someone's house then. I would just be nervous about moving him and also the water changes, if they filled it with too cold or hot water.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #5 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I'm not sure about the takn changes in the 10 gallom, but baby bettas release stunt hormones and if kept in a tank for too long can become stunted and cause other problems.

I have mine in a 1.75 gallon with every day changes, but you might be okay with a 10 gallon and filter.
Is he going to be bed for the time you are gone?
hi, did you mean that if the baby is kept in the 10g, it will be stunted in growth and would not grow to its normal size?

Or did you mean that the baby should be kept in a large tank ad not the critter keeper e.g. 5g and up so as to allow it to overcome the stunt hormone and grow to its full size?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #6 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurevet View Post
The tank is not cycled, but I can use stuff from the tank I have him in and something from my other tank to help I guess. He won't have anyone feeding him, unless I leave him in the smaller tank, I could take him to someone's house then. I would just be nervous about moving him and also the water changes, if they filled it with too cold or hot water.
if it is not cycled, then I would not chance leaving the betta in it while on vacation.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #7 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurevet View Post
If it's not cycle I wouldn't recommend it. You could have an ammonia spike while you are away & that could kill the baby. I would recommend keeping him in the smaller tank & see if you can take him/her to a responsible person's house to take care of baby. If you have a thermometer they can check that to make sure the water is the same temp. If it's someone who hasn't kept bettas they will have to be shown how to cup the baby too, along with the rest of the instructions. Fortunately, cupping babies is extremely easy due to them being so small.

Good luck with everything. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #8 
futurevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
If it's not cycle I wouldn't recommend it. You could have an ammonia spike while you are away & that could kill the baby. I would recommend keeping him in the smaller tank & see if you can take him/her to a responsible person's house to take care of baby. If you have a thermometer they can check that to make sure the water is the same temp. If it's someone who hasn't kept bettas they will have to be shown how to cup the baby too, along with the rest of the instructions. Fortunately, cupping babies is extremely easy due to them being so small.

Good luck with everything. Let me know how it turns out.
I found a friend who will take care of him (is it even a boy? I can't tell at this age) and she has has bettas and other fish, but I will still have to teach her specifics. Is there anything else that I need to be doing for him? Like i said, I'm giving him brine shrimp and cleaning his tank a few times a week.

Here are some pics of his 10 gallon I just finished setting up. Is the filter in the left a decent sponge filter? I found it laying around from previous tanks.
Attached Images

Last edited by futurevet; 03-16-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #9 
futurevet

Ummm, how do you attach 2 pics in the same post? I could only get one...
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #10 
Fishy Mom

Yay, an experienced betta sitter. I'm so happy for you. It will be much less stressful knowing you have an experienced person taking care of your little one while your away & you can call to check on your baby. As for your question about if there could be anything else you should be doing, it sounds like you doing everything already. So, my advice is to just keep doing what you're doing now.

Your 10g tank looks great. I like the black gravel with just a few bigger rocks around the plants. I'm not a sponge filter expert, but their are a few people on here that know quite a bit about them. Just use the search for sponge filters.

Oh & I still haven't figured out how to post multiple pics in one comment. Apparently I'm good at fish & bad at technology, lol.