Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #1 
futurevet
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Baby Betta Question

Hi, new here! I have kept bettas for a while but never baby bettas. I am feeding him brine shrimp when they hatch out, but other than that, just crushed flakes. He is in a long flat critter keeper right now, but I have a 10 gallon tank that is being set up. Today we are getting new plants for it! Anyways, since he is so small, I was wondering if I should leave him in the smaller critter keeper, rather than the 10 gallon for a while. The only problem is that I am going on vacation soon here and no one will be coming to clean his tank.
Attached Images
 
futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #2 
Alcemistnv
Member
 
Alcemistnv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Orange/Ulster County, New York
I'm not sure about the takn changes in the 10 gallom, but baby bettas release stunt hormones and if kept in a tank for too long can become stunted and cause other problems.

I have mine in a 1.75 gallon with every day changes, but you might be okay with a 10 gallon and filter.
Is he going to be bed for the time you are gone?
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #3 
Fishy Mom
Member
 
Fishy Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Is your 10g cycled? Is someone going to be feeding the baby while you're away?
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #4 
futurevet
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
The tank is not cycled, but I can use stuff from the tank I have him in and something from my other tank to help I guess. He won't have anyone feeding him, unless I leave him in the smaller tank, I could take him to someone's house then. I would just be nervous about moving him and also the water changes, if they filled it with too cold or hot water.
futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #5 
Otterfun
Member
 
Otterfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcemistnv View Post
I'm not sure about the takn changes in the 10 gallom, but baby bettas release stunt hormones and if kept in a tank for too long can become stunted and cause other problems.

I have mine in a 1.75 gallon with every day changes, but you might be okay with a 10 gallon and filter.
Is he going to be bed for the time you are gone?
hi, did you mean that if the baby is kept in the 10g, it will be stunted in growth and would not grow to its normal size?

Or did you mean that the baby should be kept in a large tank ad not the critter keeper e.g. 5g and up so as to allow it to overcome the stunt hormone and grow to its full size?
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #6 
Otterfun
Member
 
Otterfun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurevet View Post
The tank is not cycled, but I can use stuff from the tank I have him in and something from my other tank to help I guess. He won't have anyone feeding him, unless I leave him in the smaller tank, I could take him to someone's house then. I would just be nervous about moving him and also the water changes, if they filled it with too cold or hot water.
if it is not cycled, then I would not chance leaving the betta in it while on vacation.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #7 
Fishy Mom
Member
 
Fishy Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurevet View Post
The tank is not cycled, but I can use stuff from the tank I have him in and something from my other tank to help I guess. He won't have anyone feeding him, unless I leave him in the smaller tank, I could take him to someone's house then. I would just be nervous about moving him and also the water changes, if they filled it with too cold or hot water.
If it's not cycle I wouldn't recommend it. You could have an ammonia spike while you are away & that could kill the baby. I would recommend keeping him in the smaller tank & see if you can take him/her to a responsible person's house to take care of baby. If you have a thermometer they can check that to make sure the water is the same temp. If it's someone who hasn't kept bettas they will have to be shown how to cup the baby too, along with the rest of the instructions. Fortunately, cupping babies is extremely easy due to them being so small.

Good luck with everything. Let me know how it turns out.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:19 AM   #8 
futurevet
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Mom View Post
If it's not cycle I wouldn't recommend it. You could have an ammonia spike while you are away & that could kill the baby. I would recommend keeping him in the smaller tank & see if you can take him/her to a responsible person's house to take care of baby. If you have a thermometer they can check that to make sure the water is the same temp. If it's someone who hasn't kept bettas they will have to be shown how to cup the baby too, along with the rest of the instructions. Fortunately, cupping babies is extremely easy due to them being so small.

Good luck with everything. Let me know how it turns out.
I found a friend who will take care of him (is it even a boy? I can't tell at this age) and she has has bettas and other fish, but I will still have to teach her specifics. Is there anything else that I need to be doing for him? Like i said, I'm giving him brine shrimp and cleaning his tank a few times a week.

Here are some pics of his 10 gallon I just finished setting up. Is the filter in the left a decent sponge filter? I found it laying around from previous tanks.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by futurevet; 03-16-2013 at 12:23 AM.
futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #9 
futurevet
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Ummm, how do you attach 2 pics in the same post? I could only get one...
futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #10 
Fishy Mom
Member
 
Fishy Mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Yay, an experienced betta sitter. I'm so happy for you. It will be much less stressful knowing you have an experienced person taking care of your little one while your away & you can call to check on your baby. As for your question about if there could be anything else you should be doing, it sounds like you doing everything already. So, my advice is to just keep doing what you're doing now.

Your 10g tank looks great. I like the black gravel with just a few bigger rocks around the plants. I'm not a sponge filter expert, but their are a few people on here that know quite a bit about them. Just use the search for sponge filters.

Oh & I still haven't figured out how to post multiple pics in one comment. Apparently I'm good at fish & bad at technology, lol.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Baby betta - Question jaclynjenkins22 Betta Fish Care 2 08-12-2012 11:13 AM
a baby betta question momto2bettas Betta Fish Care 6 07-30-2012 05:47 PM
i have a baby betta color question momto2bettas Breeding Betta Fish 9 06-24-2012 11:39 PM
New baby betta question :) lizzi02 Betta Fish Care 11 05-29-2012 04:49 PM
Baby betta question toydogs Betta Fish Care 7 12-03-2011 06:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.