Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #1 
CapnJack

White Spots In Tank

I found white spots starting to develop on the black silicon of my tank. I've only noticed it going up the corners of the tank wall. I scrub them off with my finger every water change [100% 2x a week (2.5 gal tank)]. They have only started appearing recently and I haven't changed any of the chems used for the water treatment. They have yet to appear anywhere else and have not affected my fish in anyway so far. The spots have been appearing the past couple weeks. Anyone know what it may be and how to get rid of it?
CapnJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #2 
brookeandbubba

i have no idea what that is , until u figure out what it is , i think u should move ur fish to a new tank just iin casw
brookeandbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:21 PM   #3 
CapnJack

Cleaned the tank with alcohol to try to kill whatever it was. Wasn't easy getting off but I can't imagine it being calcium or a salt buildup. I flushed it with water for a few hours so no alcohol was left. Everything looks clear but only time will tell.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #4 
brookeandbubba

hopefully someone knows what this is
brookeandbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #5 
CapnJack

I was almost in the clear but the spots are back. At this point I have no idea what to do
Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 AM   #6 
tekkguy

It's probably just mineral buildup ... can you get a photo? Do you have a water test kit? Is your fish acting strangely, or does he seem to have any problems?
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #7 
CapnJack

I'm not going to say it's not mineral buildup, but I've looked it up and have found nothing that matches what I have. The closest kind of tank growth I could find was a mention of fungus or mold. I just cleaned the tank for a water change but I scraped some of the spots to hopefully grow a colony in a cup to get a better look at what it is. After removal the spots are a soft mush.

I have no test kit, I use tap water that I treat before re-introducing my fish. In 3 days when I do another change i'lll take a pic if anything appears again.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #8 
CapnJack

As for the behavior of my fish, except for occasionally jumping at my hand when I feed him which started recently, I have noticed no changes.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #9 
CapnJack

So I tried growing a colony of whatever it is, but it disappeared from the cup I had it in. It was covered and never moved or touched. The cup had some water in it and still does but no sign of the growth
Old 03-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #10 
tekkguy

I wouldn't worry about it, then ... unless it starts really trying to take over the tank, or you start noticing other issues, it's likely nothing.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote