Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #1 
txbettaowner

Question Fish food for baby betta

What do any one of you recommend for a baby betta? I have been feeding 'him' freeze dried shrimp that is crushed into flakes and I am just confused cuz 'he' won't eat the pellets crushed or not. I have looked for other things but idk what to do.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #2 
pittipuppylove

I've been feeding mine NLS Small Fish Formula - it's almost the same as their betta food and is super tiny so babies have no problem eating it. My baby started eating it almost right away (after a few feedings of blowing the pellet across the water to convince her that it's food) and now leaps out of the water to try to get to the food faster.
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #3 
txbettaowner

NLS? New Life Spectrum?
Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM   #4 
pittipuppylove

Yup yup! Sorry, NLS is New Life Spectrum
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #5 
Otterfun

How about this one? I think my BB is only a few weeks old (1/2"), it was able to eat my smallest NLS but I am thinking of getting the Small fish formula, too.

Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hikari micro pellets.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #7 
txbettaowner

Thank you Dramaqueen and otterfun
Old 03-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #8 
Jayloo

I enjoy frozen foods. :)
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #9 
futurevet

I feed mine live baby brine shrimp! I bought this hatchery http://sanfranciscobaybrand.com/inde...mpery-kit.html
But then I drilled a hole in the top to put an air tube in. The only problem is a heater doesn't fit in it, so less shrimp hatch out. It also is a pain and spills ALL OVER, so I usually leave the little clear cup (that goes on top to collect BBS) off for the 1st day, and then turn off the pump and put the cup on. Also you can make your own hatchery, my baby betta LOVES his brine shrimp!!!
futurevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #10 
Myates

Frozen would be better than freeze dried for a young betta - freeze dried is just empty calories.. protein, but lacks everything else. Stop offering the freeze dried and offer only pellets - for smaller ones I prefer New Life Spectrum small formula as well, as it has a lot of protein, but also has other nutrition a growing betta needs. Once it starts to eat the pellets just fine, then offer it frozen bloodworms on some meals along with the pellets.

Not always easy to get babies to eat new foods - so have to play tough with them and pretty much just make them eat it. If he still won't touch the pellet food after 3-5 days then give him some frozen just to get nutrition in him.. feed him for a day and then start back on pellets.

Can use the liquid from defrosting the blood worms to coat the pellets in and see if he will eat it then - feed the defrosted bloodworms to your other fish. Once he knows that the pellet is food he should be fine with it. Some pellet food isn't appetizing to some of the bettas - but so far I haven't ran into a picky betta that didn't like New Life Spectrum.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote