Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #11 
TeacherTeapot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
This is not true. Many fancies are actually kept in 75 degrees, and comets prefer it to be *above* 60.
Ok then, how high is too high? The filter I am intending to use for them is grossly overpowered, but the motor heats the tank to around 80 degrees or so. Which worked fine for my betta (even if the current pushed him around a little), but will it be too warm for my new little guys?
TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:30 PM   #12 
Bombalurina

Yes, definitely. 72 is really the max for comets, and I believe that they prefer it to be around 68. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #13 
TeacherTeapot

Do goldfish jump? I think that if I leave the lid of the tank off then the temp should go down into the safe range. For obvious reasons Beau has to have the lid on.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #14 
Bombalurina

They definitely can. I'm not sure how often they do so, though.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #15 
TeacherTeapot

Do you think it would be safe to leave the lid off? I don't ever remember hearing about or seeing my Aunt's two goldfish she had for her garden pond jumping. Granted they were so full of mosquito larvae that I doubt they ever felt the need to do more than swim very slowly.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #16 
Tikibirds

I have the same issue with goldfish and they aren;t even mine. My sister had 5 in a 10g but 3 died after 2 or so years. so now there are 2 in a 20G. They did have a 10G filter but I got an aquaclear 70 off ebay for liKe $10 and
OMG - does it do wonders for mechanical filtration. Before when I gravel vaccumed, the gravel had so much junk in it and ther ewere those little white worms that would come out of the gravel. Now, I would say there is at least 50-75% less junk in the tank which hs got to help the water quality somewhat. Not sure if it does anything to help the biological filtration or nitrAte levels though. Yeah, there is alot of room for the bacteria but there is still only 20G of water. I got 2 pads of aquaclear foam, those ceramic rings and I added 2 layers of a "nitrate reducing" pad. No idea if it even works but if not, it can help with the mechanical/biological filtration filtration.

Oh, they also don't have a lid/hood. I upgraded the tank - thats all I am buying for them. I have never seen them jump. They are the kind with the long tails and round bodies.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 03-16-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #17 
TeacherTeapot

Hey on the topic of food, I was reading that they like certain kinds of fruits and vegetables. Any recommendations?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:50 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherTeapot View Post

I have done a little research, mostly before I got Beau, and I know that a fish will only get as big as it's environment allows. Granted I have not seen the fish yet, but as the four of them are in a peanut jar and have space to move around, I don't believe that they are huge. At most I expect them to be 2" or so.
This is false. Fish do not grow to their environment. What happens in these small bowls is that ammonia and nitrate build up to such levels that the fish has to deal to put all of its energy into dealing with these problems instead of growing. Basically you're stressing the fish into a stunted life. The organs do continue to grow inside the fish. The fins will look funny, and usually the eyes are abnormally large. This eventually causes the fish a premature death.

If the water in a small tank is kept clean, the fish will continue to grow.

Quote:

I was also doing some reading up on goldfish tonight, and everything I'm reading says to not go above 60 degrees, as they are a cool-water fish.
Again, another falsehood about goldfish. They are extremely temperature tolerant. Mine get up to 80F in the summer just fine. The thing about goldfish and temp is that as the water gets warmer, they need to be fed more often to maintain a good weight (ie not becoming underweight) and this causes them to produce more waste. In warmer water they also need more oxygen. So while they need more care in warmer water, they can certainly do just fine in it.

For food, again this is going to depend on whether or not they are fancy goldfish. For common goldfish, any high-quality pellet food will do. For fancies, even with high quality pellet you can run into problems with bloat (and they actually get worse with lower temperature). Right now I just recommend getting a good quality pellet like Hikari Saki or New Life Spectrum. Fruits are okay for goldfish but only in small amounts. Leafy veggies are the best for them. Things like kale, spinach, and red lettuce are the best. Mine also love zucchini.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #19 
copperarabian

Quote:
Hey on the topic of food, I was reading that they like certain kinds of fruits and vegetables. Any recommendations?
I would give mine food out in the pond, I would give them meaty greens(spinach, kale, chard and so on) and they also liked a slice of orange. You can give them a lot more, a forum with koi enthusiast would probably know great foods.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #20 
Artemis

Fancies nor commons need that much room, 2.5 gal for every inch of goldfish, they have a high waste output. Where do you live? Take them in, they can live in a 10 gal (or I had two that were in a 2.5 until we got the 10 set up) for a good time if they are small. Can you post pics?

Links to other fish forums are not allowed - please read out forum rules here. Thank you.

Last edited by Olympia; 03-16-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: link to other forum
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote