Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 06:15 PM   #1 
Cyndih70

Rescue or rescue?

Couple nights ago, I lost my little CT buddy, Sushi. I loved that little guy so much and my heart still aches at his loss. I figure I will eventually, find me another little buddy to keep in Sushi's old stomping grounds.

Question is: I'm trying to decide whether I should walk through PetSmart/Petco/Walmart and rescue a little fella from the hell's they are living in or adopt from the many online Betta rescues I see out there?

Send me some opinions and reasons behind them....my mind is still trying to absorb the fact I lost my best little buddy, Sushi.

Thanks ya'll
Cyndih70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #2 
Crowntails

There's online betta rescues? Personally, I'd just go to Petco or Petsmart. They have a very wide selection.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #3 
Myates

This one started up not long ago.. could see if she has anything available right now :)

They all need homes - so just look for the one that "calls" to you :) Doesn't matter where they come from, as long as you love them!

Last edited by Myates; 03-15-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:01 PM   #4 
caissacrowntails

guys...actually there's a question in my mind about this whole "rescue" thing. cos it's sound like "contradiction" to me, on one side, I know u guys are good people trying to save bettas from awful living, on the other side..it's a simple "market law", the more u buy, the more they will sell. All these "unethical" shop simply wants your money and care nothing about the bettas, so buying from them only means they will try to get more, means more and more bettas will suffer. Here, other than betta, I also joined bunny lovers community, and we actually campaigning, educating others not to buy baby bunnies under 2 months old ( cute as they are, they're actually not ready to live without their mother ) and also from those seller who mistreated their bunnies and keep doing it albeit he/she was informed so. just my 2 cents though
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #5 
VJM

Absolutely look for an online betta rescue, or craigslist for a rehome, or contact one of the breeders nearby about taking bettas they can't find a home for.

Everyone has to do what they feel is right in this situation, and I am not sure there are any wrong answers. If you buy from a big box store, you definitely contribute to the cycle of abuse, which effects thousands/tens of thousands of bettas. You also make a huge difference in the life of the one betta you take home away from ghastly conditions.

There just is no wrong answer to that choice. It is all dependant on what you feel is most important to you.

Wherever you get a new betta, I am so sorry for your loss. They are such good friends, and losing one is terrible. And I am sure your new betta will be lucky and happy.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's a small drop in a big bucket that will end up making a world of difference for that animal. ADOPT!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Moonshadow who is a member here has a couple that are available or will be available for adoption soon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 PM   #8 
Myates

caissa, they will always carry bettas.. walking away from a store betta just means one will be more likely to be sentenced to death instead of getting a good home, the ones at the rescue places have clean, warm homes, even if not permanent, they are in a better place.

One person, a hundred people, a thousand people not buying a betta will not stop a pet store from selling it. They get them for pennies on the dollar - bigger chains like Walmart, Petco, etc get money for them if they die at the store - considered a "loss" and will get some reimbursement. So walking away from a pet store betta because you don't want to give that store your $5 is just instead killing a fish and giving the store $3. Store still wins...

We all don't want to see bettas suffer.. but fact is they need to be in their own small space to live safely until adopted. Not all will find a home, just like with other animals.. and heck, with people even. Lots of kids at the orphanages.. people aren't going to say "Don't want to promote that it's okay for parents to abandon their baby, so not going to adopt one" .. as it isn't going to stop the problem. Decades and decades of betta lovers have not been able to stop the problem. We can educate each store if we feel like we should, but don't deny an innocent life a good home because of where it was sent to.

Just my opinion :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:29 AM   #9 
jadaBlu

From what I've read some of the rescues are coming from the store anyway the fish that are in bad shape and were nursed back to health. I guess you are enabling someone who has the facilities and space to go get more that would otherwise die. One thing that bothers me is people that are breeding them and then selling or giving "extra" offspring to the pet store with the potential suffer like any other betta. I don't know how in good conscience anyone can do that.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #10 
caissacrowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
caissa, they will always carry bettas.. walking away from a store betta just means one will be more likely to be sentenced to death instead of getting a good home, the ones at the rescue places have clean, warm homes, even if not permanent, they are in a better place.

One person, a hundred people, a thousand people not buying a betta will not stop a pet store from selling it. They get them for pennies on the dollar - bigger chains like Walmart, Petco, etc get money for them if they die at the store - considered a "loss" and will get some reimbursement. So walking away from a pet store betta because you don't want to give that store your $5 is just instead killing a fish and giving the store $3. Store still wins...
Hm..I didn't know about this reimbursement previously..I thought if no one buy from them and their bettas die, it's their loss. if it's like this..then it's very complicated then, means they will never stop doing it. Or perhaps..is it possible to "create a petition" or anything like that?
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote