Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #1 
rmarkham

Angry Really starting to worry about Magikarp...

Hey guys... some of you might remember me posting about a possible eye infection in my plakat male, Magikarp back in Oct-Nov of 2012.

Well the issue never really better... I had him in a QT tank for quite some time, and tried various antibiotics, (with breaks in between) with no relief.

Honestly I don't think it was an infection after all... it was probably an injury.. that never healed and he eventually lost the eye completely. I'm thinking that he scraped his eye on a lava rock I had in his tank with Anubias growing on it.. it's since been removed and now is in my 29G tank.

Ever since the whole eye thing started Magikarp went from being an energetic fish, who would swim about erratically when I walked into the room... to a lethargic fish who barely swims.

He was stable the past few months.. never getting better but not getting worse. The tips of his fins were ragged (even during QT with antibiotics).. and no matter how many water changes I did it never healed. He spent most of his time sitting on the bottom or resting on a plant... but would always swim up to me so I could spoon feed him..

The past few days he hasn't been coming up for food... and has been at the back bottom of his tank. I got home from work a little while ago and he's upside down (face down) in the gravel breathing heavily...

I mean, I've literally done everything I could do for this guy! He was a sickly little fish when I got him in Jan of 2012... and he's right back to where he started. I'm worried I'm going to lose him.. and there's nothing I can do for him....

He's housed in a moderately planted 5 gallon mini bow. It's heated, and kept at 80 degrees. I just checked the water chemistry, just incase it's some freak ammonia spike.. but my results were:
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Nitrate-10ppm

What can I do!?

Thanks,
Rachelle
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #2 
brookeandbubba

oh this doesnt sound to good, lavarocks are OFF limmits for bettas , i heard. mabe hes a fish who was born with a defect of being sick , something like that . anyway , i hope someone can help who knows the situation better , good luck and i hope magikarp will be ok
brookeandbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #3 
rmarkham

Thanks, Me too. Yeah, I mean the lava rock was a theory... I'm not even sure... he could have stupidly rammed his head into the gravel while trying to eat. I'm worried this is different from his prior injury... but it must be linked somehow.

I hate seeing my pets suffer while I sit there helpless...
Old 03-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Hi Markham. I'm so sorry to hear the little guy never really improved.

It sounds like we're dealing with a pretty severe internal issue such as a bacterial infection or organ failure. If you have Kanaplex on hand, I recommend using it along with 3 tsps of epsom salt because Kanaplex will absorb through the gills and skin and other antibiotics won't. Beyond that, without a confirmed diagnosis of what his problem is I'm not sure there's much more that can be done. I got a new fish disease book a while back (a text book, actually) and from what I'm reading there's so much that can go on internally that pinpointing the exact cause can only be done with biopsies or necropsies. :(

I'm so sorry and I understand the helpless feeling all too well. You're not alone though, we're all behind you as you go through this.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #5 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi Markham. I'm so sorry to hear the little guy never really improved.

It sounds like we're dealing with a pretty severe internal issue such as a bacterial infection or organ failure. If you have Kanaplex on hand, I recommend using it along with 3 tsps of epsom salt because Kanaplex will absorb through the gills and skin and other antibiotics won't. Beyond that, without a confirmed diagnosis of what his problem is I'm not sure there's much more that can be done. I got a new fish disease book a while back (a text book, actually) and from what I'm reading there's so much that can go on internally that pinpointing the exact cause can only be done with biopsies or necropsies. :(

I'm so sorry and I understand the helpless feeling all too well. You're not alone though, we're all behind you as you go through this.
Thanks!

I did try epson salts, and aquarium salts (not together) before I started using drugs in the beginning of this mess.

I had him on kanaplex (kanamycin) for about 2 weeks before with no improvement... Is it worth the stress on his tiny kidneys?

Should I add some epson salt to his main tank,( no antibiotics of course)?

So frustrating, and heart breaking :(
Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #6 
Sakura8

If the Kanaplex had no effect, then I have to wonder if we're looking at organ failure :( If that is the case, sadly nothing can be done but make him as comfortable as possible.

I would go ahead and add 1 tsp of epsom salt to his main tank just to keep any internal fluid buildup to a minimum. If he became bloated on top of things, his comfort level would drop a great deal. If he has trouble reaching the surface to breathe you can lower the water level as much as necessary or even float him in a cup.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #7 
rmarkham

I'll do that right now.. He looks like he moved over a few centimeters.. but is still face down breathing hard... he looks SO much paler than yesterday.... almost gray-white.

:( this is terrible.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:20 PM   #8 
Sakura8

*hugs* I'm so sorry, Rachelle.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:13 AM   #9 
rmarkham

He didn't make it through the night :(

Not a good start to my day :(

I love you Magikarp.. my little fighter.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM   #10 
Sakura8

Oh no. I am so sorry, Rachelle. You did everything you could with the little guy. *hugs*