Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #1 
Demysta

Betta sorority at last! So excited! But need advice!

So I finally got my 10 gallon tank fully cycled, got some new plants which are in isolation to make sure no unwanted visitors came with them, and I now have three female bettas all ready to join the 10 gallon with Fat Mary!
I just have a few little things I wanted to make sure so I know that what I'm doing is the right thing :)

Firstly: my method of introducing the girls is by isolating the new girls in Tupperware containers that are floating in the 10 gallon so they can all interact with one another and see each other and Fat Mary. I plan to do this for a couple of days to ensure the new girls all have a clean bill of health, and so I can see if there will be any problems or not. Thing is, I've noticed that Fat Mary's usually docile nature has become really aggressive. She keeps on flaring at the two isolated girls very violently. When I float Tiny Town during water changes in her tank, she is relatively docile and pays no attention to her, but with these two she is acting very sporadic. Is this normal or should I have to think of isolating her? I'm almost 100% certain she is a plakat, which is why I have the concerns over her compatibility with the others. She is also considerably larger than them. The other three girls are all young adult females that are the same size.

Two: I got some new live plants to add to the tank, but I couldn't find any suitable floaters in my LFS. I do have taller plants that do offer some coverage, but there is a bit of an open spot in the middle of the tank. Will this pose a problem? If there are no viable options for a good floater plant, I was thinking of a betta log as a little hidey hole. Would that work?
Demysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Sounds awesome! Can't wait to see it when you're finished!

It sounds like you're working harder than you really need to. I would keep the girls separated, yes, but don't worry about making them see each other. Just make sure they're healthy.

Honestly, I float my girls in zip-loc baggies. This is just cause it's easier to let them float for an hour or two. I do this to see who is flaring the most, and it gives me a chance to see which girls I can put next to each other. This is important, since you have to release them all at about the same time. I would suggest floating fat mary with the other girls, since releasing them all at once is SUPER important. It helps spread out the aggression by easing territory issues.

Flaring is totally normal. In fact, one of my girls flared like mad when she was floating, but when I released her she sort of went into shock since she didn't know what to do once the other girls could get it (I laughed...I'm a terrible person).

Also, make sure to note their personalities when separate as well. The extra feisty girl(s) will need to be released last. You can release all at once, or two at a time.

I'm not sure if an open area will be a problem, but I know that my smaller girls like squeezing into my floaters when they're being chased (even if it's by another smaller girl). They also enjoy sleeping there (I guess it's since the bigger girls can't get to them). I think that a betta hidy-hole would be fine, but if I were you, I would look into purchasing plants online. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #3 
Demysta

Ah, okay! :D I got a little worried because I can see that the other three girls are very docile towards each other, no flaring at one another, just some curiosity. From what I can see, Fat Mary is the only aggressive one here, but that'll change soon :P after a day or two when I see the new girls are all nice and healthy, I'll remove Fat Mary from the 10 gallon, rearrange things to make way for the new plants (AND A GIANT MARIMO EEEE ), and then introduce 'em all at once like you said, except I'll release Mary last. She's worse than my males with the aggression. >.<;
I'll also work on finding a good floater plant! My LFS had tank upon tank of freshwater plants, so I was surprised to see no floaters. Oh well. I'll try searching online like you suggested, thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

I think that one of my marimos turned out to be giant. I don't remember purchasing it as a giant...BUT IT'S SO BIG. Maybe it's just my imagination, though! If it's a mom and pop store, you could possibly ask them to get a shipment in. If you can do that, then I bet that'd be easier on your pocket. (:
Old 03-15-2013, 09:47 PM   #5 
Demysta

I think my marimo is a giant too, but I paid relatively little for it. The store charged me only $15, and this thing is the size of my palm. XD I know they're cheaper on eBay, but around here in LFSs they usually go for at least $20-$30 for a giant one, so I think I lucked out in that regard. The java fern and crypto plant I got were relatively cheap too.

I'll do my research and see if theres any stores near me with floating plants. There aren't a lot of good fish stores where I live.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

My LPS isn't mainly fish, but they do a lot of custom orders. It never hurts to ask. The mom and pop stores are the most likely to do it, since they can do private catalog orders for you.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

Just to help add to your excitement...
Attached Images

Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #8 
Demysta

Oh my gosh! Your females are STUNNING :D I can't wait to see the excitement when they all get to go in their nice big planted tank :') Since the girls look healthy, I'll probably wind up putting them all in the tank tomorrow along with the plants! No snails hitched a ride and the plants also have a nice clean bill of health! Can't wait to post a picture of these girls in their sorority! I've always been fascinated by the idea of one, and I can't wait to see how the girls interact and coexist. :)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:51 PM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

They're so much fun!!!! I love mine so much. I love my boys, but my girls are so funny. It's hilarious so see them all just run up to the front (when I walk up and talk to them) from random areas of the tank!

I can't wait to see pictures of your sorority! Yayyy!!!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:17 AM   #10 
Stone

I would float fat mary along with them and do a tiny bit or re-arranging in the tank, even the females are territorial, so with things moved around it will "confuse" fat mary so she will be a bit more busy claiming her spot in the tank vs fighting with the new intruders
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote