Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Anubias Nana plant

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 crushed pellets once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day (only had him since Wednesday, did a water change today)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I only have a test for ammonia and one for pH. Forgot to pick up my test kit today.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH: 7.6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not swimming up, will still eat food that sinks
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about half an hour ago, haven't been home all day
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? preformed a water change with prime, fed him in the cup I scooped him with (he ate a bit that sank)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I've only had him for 2 days
How old is your fish (approximately)? I'd guess 8 weeks at most (he's almost an inch long)

Last edited by Dene; 03-15-2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added pics
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 AM   #2 
callistra

I would look for a different pellet.. New Life Spectrum Betta or Grow formula.. but what you have is better than most.

How do you do water changes? He may be stressed from all these changes. This is what I suggest..

The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:18 AM   #3 
Starfish1

I brought a baby home last summer and they seem like they get REALLY stressed out because they're so little. Yours looks about the size mine was and I just think they're too small to be sold at that age. I'm sure he'll adjust in a few days, do you have lots of places for him to hide? They sell this plastic tall grass looking stuff, at Petco that I got for mine and months later she still likes to sleep in it. I'm sure your baby will be ok and settle in soon.

I agree with callistra, the NLS Grow is terrific and it does sink if you leave it in there long enough, so he'd probably love that. It's formulated for growing fish and is really tiny so you don't have to crush it.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

I would recommend feeding 3-4 meals a day, about one pellet/ meal. these guys are growing and prefer to be constantly eating.
keep the water clean, water changes often and no temperture fluctuations.

His stomach looks very flat, you want to keep it round...

I have a shot of my baby here for comparison? she was less than an inch when I got her, but is over an inch now.

see how round the belly is?

When they're well fed in a warm clean home, they dont get stressed at all.
Think about it, it's at this age, when these little frys are supposed to be eating as much as they can to grow quickly.... Then the breeder ships them out. they are without food in transit and barely eat at petco. They are also in cold water. This stunts their growth, your fish is probably quite a bit older than your estimation. He needs good food to catch up on growth. The 2 pellet/twice a day rule doesnt apply to frys. keep those bellies round ^_^. you cut back on the food once they start to look like an adult betta :D

Last edited by ao; 03-16-2013 at 02:34 PM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #5 
Dene

My Petco has NLS Betta Formula. Haven't been able to find Grow. If the Betta Formula is better than Omega One, I'll definitely get that.

I only changed the water after I saw that he was clamped. I was waiting until he had had a couple days to settle in, but I was advised to remove my root tab and some of the substrate, so I did a 100% change. I cupped him, cleaned the tank (removing the root tab and at least half of the sand), filled it back up, put in the Prime, and floated him in the cup in the tank while the heater got the water back up to temp. Didn't even think about using the tank thermometer to make sure the running water was the same temp. I added a bit of new water to his cup after maybe 30 min and then put him back in the tank 30 min after that.

I have a 5 gallon bucket, I just didn't know I should add the conditioner before putting water in the tank. Is that true even if Cae is cupped, or is that only for the 50% changes?

I bought a terracotta pot and need to clean it. I dunno what to do with the little hole in the bottom though. I was thinking of covering it and just laying the pot in there as a cave, instead of a tunnel. I'm also going to get some more plants, probably fake ones for now.

Thank you, aokashi! I really had no idea how much to feed him. o.o I'll start feeding him more.

He seems to be less clamped today and has been on top of the water instead on at the bottom corner. Still in a little corner though. Not sure if him moving to the top is good or bad, but he is eating better and easier.

Thank you guys!
Dene is offline   Reply With Quote