So I've been trying to breed my bettas for the past year and had about 10 unsuccessful attempts. I've tried several different pairings but they either didn't embrace or they ate the eggs. But in February, I finally found a pair that spawned successfully and here's the spawn log:
Mum: Sorry for the bad picture of her. Her fins were nipped by other females in the sonority (After the spawn).
Conditioned for 3 weeks - Feeding them frozen blood worms once or twice a day. Allowed the female to see the male once every day for 5-10min.
02/01/13: Introduced the pair at 8pm. Started spawning around 11pm. Had around 100-150 eggs? Removed female straight after spawn.
02/03/13: Eggs hatched.
02/04/13: Fry started free swimming. Removed dad.
02/05/13: Started feeding the fry with BBS.
02/17/13: 2 weeks old and around 50-60 fry survived.
02/24/13: 3 weeks old and around 30 fry left. (I think a lot of fry died due to shock after water changes.
03/03/13: Only 4 fry left. Started doing water changes and refilling tank by drip method.
03/05/13: About 1 month old.
03/12/13: Noticed all the fry swimming weirdly - Bopping up and down and swimming vertically. This picture showing 2 of them resting next to the thermometer in a vertical position.
03/28/13: Not sure if they developed SBD but they weren't swimming normally and tend to rest at the bottom a lot (They usually lie on one side - The 2nd pic shows the smaller one on its side).
04/04/13: 8 and a half weeks old and start to identify their sex. There's 2 females and 2 males. All seem to be swimming ok.
04/07/13: Noticed the males flaring at each other so separated them.
The smallest female:
The largest male (most colourful one):
The other male: