Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #1 
Mirmy

Unhappy Betta is in final hours possibly...

So I posted before, but his condition has become worse... I tried the epsom salt treatment recommended, but it hasn't helped so far... He's just lying on his side barely breathing... I noticed he has a slight case of popeye on one side... and he has had dropsy... He hasn't eaten in a week but he doesn't appear emaciated, he is bloated though... If provoked, he will go up and get air, clumsily... I never gave him anti bac medicine since I have no good method of transportation to get some, and from fear of not correctly diagnosing and wrongly administering them... I now am convinced he had some sort of bacterial infection... But I feel I can rule out TB since his symptoms were/are:
loss of appetite
just on the bottom of the tank
dropsy
slight loss of color (now more so)
some tattered fins (no reason for him to be since there is no deco in his qt tank)
slight popeye
no lesions anywhere on his body

I must add the conditions in the water were likely very poor.. But I've started doing water changes every three days to make it better. I still have 3 kuhli loach in there, all doing fine.

Any advice will help... I greatly thank Callistra for helping me.

now:

free image hosting
before:

when his symptoms started:

free photo hosting
when he was healthy:

upload pics
Mirmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 
callistra

I'm sorry he is not doing any better :(

Are you up to 2 tsp per gallon yet, or just 1 tsp per gallon?

What size is the quarantine container is he in now? Water changes every 3 days is not often enough and not what was recommended.. sorry.

It was suggested a 1g QT filled half full at minimum with daily 100% changes. If he is still in the cup he will see as high as 4ppm ammonia in 24 hours and you must do 4 100% changes a day to keep ammonia down. Either way a change every 3 days will yield high ammonia and he really needs pristine water right now to have a chance at healing.

Changes like this to avoid shock and minimum stress:

Quote:
The 50% changes the betta can be kept in the bowl and use a turkey baster to remove half the water and as much of the debris as possible. For the 100% you need to remove him - scoop him out with a plastic solo type cup and set aside while you thoroughly rinse the bowl and gravel to remove the debris. Then he should be acclimated to the new water by floating for an hour while you slowly add a couple tablespoons of new water to the cup every 10 minutes. When you release him, try to let as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. All water changes should use same temp water, matched to running tap using the in tank thermometer and the water needs to be premixed with conditioner before adding it to the betta tank. If you don't already have anything, you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store - rinsed thoroughly in hot water but no chems.
Just to remind you, this was what was said before about the potential need for antibiotics:

Quote:
He may also need antibiotics.. but honestly it’s a crap shoot. His water quality is so poor it may just be organ failure without infection and then dosing antibiotics may make it worse.. or the chronically poor conditions could have bred infection, in which case not using antibiotics may be lethal.. if you want to use them you need something that goes internal like KAanplex by seachem, Triple Sulfa or Maracyn1 and 2 in combo.. treat 2 weeks. They will need to be wet diluted too.
The Epsom salt needs to be pure 100% magnesium sulfate. The ingredients label must be checked. It should not smell and it should be white. I get mine from CVS Pharmacy. Predissolve 1 tsp per gallon outside the container and add slowly over an hour. After 12 hours, do this again. Now you have a 2 tsp per gallon dosage. Salts do not evaporate or break down. Redose along with your 100% daily water changes. Do this for 2 weeks.
If he is getting worse despite clean water (and you are changing enough and doing changes as above to avoid shock) and the epsom salt he probably does need antibiotics. It's almost certain when bettas are kept in the conditions he was kept in that internal infections are inevitable.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 
Mirmy

Oh the water changes i mentioned are for the main tank. His qt is getting 100% changes. i am still at 1 tbls and will be doing 2 now. He has really gone downhill though.

Last edited by Mirmy; 03-17-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #4 
Mirmy

The qt is a one gallon, I don't have any bigger...
Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #5 
callistra

tsp means teaspoon.. not tablespoon.. there are 3 teaspoons in a tablespoon so if you did that all at once you may have shocked him.. give him a break and let him adjust..
Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #6 
Mirmy

ahh! I guess I gave him more than a tablespoon! Yes I thought teaspoon.. Now I feel so ignorant :/ It wasn't a super packed teaspoon so hopefully it makes it less bad... I added it over the course of an hour and a half... I'm glad this was stressed before I gave him this second dosage... Now I'm the one killing my fish! Should I still change his water? I'm sorry if I'm seeming so ignorant :/ I have so many things going on right now....
Old 03-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #7 
callistra

You're saying it backwards again, and I'm not sure if it's just you saying it backwards or a confusion about how much to use.

You want 1 tsp, t (lowercase) or teaspoon (it should be written on the spoon) per gallon - this is what you want.

Tablespoon is larger, and there are 3 tsps in it.TAblespoon is abbraviated as T (capitol), tb, tbs, tbsp, tblsp.

If you have given too much, don't increase it. You might do a water change and decrease it to 2 tsps (teaspoons), or 1.5 tsp (one full tsp and another completely different spoon will say 1/2 t or tsp on it) which is a little drop from what you have done.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #8 
Mirmy

Oh I did do one teaspoon. I'm sorry I think I did get confused.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #9 
callistra

Okay good :)

Is he still hanging in there?
Old 03-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #10 
Mirmy

My boy is now in a better place... I'm just glad that he isn't suffering anymore... I do wish that I could've saved him, and that I would have tried treating as soon as he started behaving lethargic... I feel like a terrible person, like it was my fault he got the way he did... I had him for a little over two years, and he always made me happy. Sometimes I would just observe him for close to an hour... Oh well... I really appreciate your help. I hope that with what I did, he was at least comfortable... I was even planning on getting anti bac tomorrow... Again, thanks for your recommendations, at least I did him good.