Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2013, 02:26 PM   #1 
kyle89

activated carbon ?

I know the fish world is split on carbon in filters but I was looking at carbon today. I found activated carbon and ammo carbon. The ammo carbon helps remove ammonia. Which would be better??
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

In a properly cycled tank you're BB will process out the ammonia. Carbon is really only needed if you are removing meds or odor from the tank. It's really a personal choice to spend the money on carbon as you will have to replace it every 4-6 wks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Would anyone recommend using carbon for like, the first week of having a new tank? Or is it fine to never use carbon at all?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

It's absolutely fine not to use carbon. I have removed it from all of my filters because I simply cannot be bothered to replace it all the time. I fill the gap with sponge, which is a great method of filtration as it has so much surface area for BB to grow on. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:32 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

I do the same. The only tank with carbon was the snail tank. The water would reek like a day after a water change without it. Every now and then I will stick an actual cartridge in there but in general - its all filter foam/sponge for aquaclear filters.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #6 
waterdog

In betta tanks it's a matter of choice. I have several tanks running on sponge filters which have no carbon. I also have a marineland hex 5 that has carbon in the filters. Tanks this size don't tend to get the odors bigger tanks do due to the diversity of inhabitants in bigger tanks. I would not run my 75 or my 30 without carbon.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote