Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #1 
Kiara1125

SBD in young female CT

I've had my female fancy CT, Iridium, for two weeks now. She's had SBD for the longest time and I've never had it last this long. I've been giving her bbs and daphnia, but should I try to give her other things too, or will that make it worse? I would say that she's around 3-4 months old. She's very small and she does eat ... a lot. I just want her to be ok. She's currently in a breeder net on Dipstick's side of my 10g divided (for my males). If anything, Dip is doing way better then Iridium. The poor thing keeps hanging around the top of the water with a "kink" in her body (that signifies the SBD). She can swim around and straighten herself out, but I'm just a little worried. She was dying at the store, so I took her in. She's gotten better, but the SBD won't go away. Any advice?

Here's a video of her. Also, I'm not sure if the red on her gill plates is coloring or if there's something wrong. It was there to begin with, sooo ...

Iridium
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Can't see the video. Fill out the form.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #3 
caissacrowntails

Quote "I've been giving her bbs and daphnia", I never gave bbs to other than fries and only when I can't get daphnia, so I dunno for sure, but I've heard some breeders here in indonesia said that sometimes bbs can cause SBD. Perhaps, if u have other choices for food?
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #4 
Kiara1125

I have pellets, flakes and bloodworms. Should I try that?

And, not to be rude, but why the form? All of my fish are fine and the SBD has nothing to do with my tanks or water parameters. I got her WITH the SBD and I'm trying to help her get rid of it. I don't need a diagnosis, I need advice.

As for the video problem, I can see it fine. Does your device have access to photobucket.com? That's where I posted the video. It uploads faster there then YouTube, but I guess I can upload it to YouTube as well.

Here's the YouTube link.
Iridium

Last edited by Kiara1125; 03-16-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #5 
caissacrowntails

[quote=Kiara1125;1470488]I have pellets, flakes and bloodworms. Should I try that?

bloodworms sounds like a good choice to me. and Daphnia are actually fine, been using BW, Daphnia, Mos Larv. BBS is the one I heard causing SBD, so perhaps try to avoid BBS and see if it helps?
caissacrowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #6 
callistra

Please share more info: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233'

The video is pretty rough.. It's hard to tell if the red is normal coloring or something more serious..

You can't really add anything to the breeder box without also dosing the whole tank.. so if you wanted to try something I'd use epsom salt and tannins. I wouldn't do daphnia right now. it's a laxative and she needs to put on the weight. Brine shrimp and blood worms in tiny little micro pellet size chunks are ok short term but don't have a lot of really good nutrition. I would look for NEw Life Spectrum Grow formula for a staple until she is well. Then you can do regular NLS Betta.

Epsom salt needs to be pure 100% magnesium sulfate with no additives of any kind. The ingredients label needs to be checked. It should not smell and it should be white. I get mine at CVS Pharmacy. You predissolve outside the tank at 1 tsp per gallon and add slowly over an hour to avoid shock. Salts do not evaporate or break down so you only need to add more along with a water change. Only change as much as water you actually replace. Leave these for 2 weeks. After this time hopefully she will be much better if not before. You can just discontinue adding them along with a water change at this point and slowly phase them out. They are safe for plants and all your bettas.

Last edited by callistra; 03-16-2013 at 11:08 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:48 PM   #7 
Kiara1125

She seems so fragile for Epsom salt, tbh. But, I could just be acting weird again. I will try some bloodworms and a BIT of bbs. Anything else?

Here's her when I first got her.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 03-16-2013 at 04:50 PM.