Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #1 
TheOnlyCanvas

Betta Being Treated for Fin Rot Showing New and Worsened Symptoms

I've had my betta, Arthur, for a little over a month now. He is currently in a 1 gallon hospital tank kept at 78 degrees, no filter. He has been on 1 tsp aquarium salt/gallon for the past seven days, with 100% changes every day.

Not long after I got him his tail split, and then more fraying began to appear along with signs of mild fin rot. Seven days ago I began treating him for it with aquarium salt. Everything was going fine and the tears were starting to heal (though I've noticed that since I've gotten him his fins have curled a bit - his dorsal fin is curled over and doesn't really straighten out, even when he flares). The other day some new tears appeared. Today I went to check on him and the dorsal fin has a couple of new holes (seriously appeared overnight, I checked him when I did his water change last night) that are ringed with black and have some white spots.

Since I've already had him on salt, what can I do to try to fix this? I have not tested my water, but I'm planning to do so soon because the curling is starting to worry me. I have roommates who use the same water with the same conditioner and don't have the curling issue.

He appears to be otherwise healthy.

I attached a couple of images (I hope they show up!). In the first you can see his tail and how it's healing (the bigger slit used to be twice as long, it's healed super fast) and how the strands are curling at the ends, and in the second you can see how his dorsal fin is curled. It really doesn't change from that position much.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheOnlyCanvas; 03-01-2013 at 08:55 PM.
TheOnlyCanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

as long as you dont see blackened edges he will be fine...
change the water often - 100% every other day
and drop him off salt...

try to refrain from scrubbing his tank walls
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #3 
TheOnlyCanvas

That's the problem, though. He has two new holes halfway down his dorsal fin that have black edges.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

curly fins lead me to believe that you have hard water.
Unfortuantely fins regrow slower in hard water. Have you tried stress coat?
I'd take him off salt, I never found it to be of any benefit to soft water fish :/
additionally what are you feeding him? If you can feed him a good diet, this will speed up repair...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #5 
TheOnlyCanvas

I have not tried stress coat, but I'm thinking that might be the next step. Is there a particular brand that I should look for? And would it be safe to use in addition to the conditioner?

I'm currently using API Betta Water Conditioner, and it has Aloe Vera and Green Tea Extract. It sounds pretty similar?

I feed him 2-3 pellets a day, pre-soaked in tank water.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

it is pretty similar ^__^ I think stress coat is a little stronger, Also by API. while you're at it, order yourself some Indian Almond leaves...they will come in handy in the future
Old 03-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #7 
TheOnlyCanvas

Thank you very much! I'll give the stress coat a try. And I've heard lots of wonderful things about IAL, so I'll check those out, too.

Oh! Should I move him out of the hospital tank, as well? I think he's getting a bit bored with the small space.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:51 PM   #8 
ao
TFK Moderator

which ever tank you think is cleaner. lol. Good luck with the betta :) plants do miracles for the water, but that's a whole orher topic.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #9 
Picasso84

The API Stress Coat is a water conditioner, so u would just use that instead of the conditioner you've been using :) Good Luck! I have heard if u can't get the IAL right now, then u can use oak leaves (as long as u wash them well, and there are no pesticides on them)

The stress coat is good stuff... I've been using it, and it has helped (plus regular water changes) my guy recover from the fin rot caused by the cup water he came in (that had some serious amounts of ammonia in it!) Ammonia was at around 6ppm!
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:25 AM   #10 
quietlythundering

I use the Stress Coat and Stress Zyme by API (in conjunction), and they are fabulous products. The first time I used them after a water change, and the water in my bettas' tanks were a millions times clearer looking! They sold them as two one ounce bottles in a sample pack for about $3.50 or so, if you want to try that before you get the really big bottles. There's also another product made by API that specially targets the healing of skin and fins in bettas, if you'd like to keep an eye out for that!
And yeah, if he's in a 1 gallon, you should probably change it every 3 days, or if decaying food is really a problem you could buy a water siphon. Or try a feeding ring! I have one for my blind betta, and since it's all in one place he finds it more easily; maybe your guy could make good use of one too, if he's grown sluggish due to age.
quietlythundering is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin curling&holes, fin rot, fin rot betta tail biting