Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #11 
Skyewillow

don't just pull water out then add clean, pick up the tank, set it CAREFULLY on the floor of your tub or sink (if it fits) and keep rinsing that gravel and stirring it up until it ALL comes out!

Just be glad that it's a 3 gallon, and not a 55, and that it's a betta and not either a 7" piranha or 8" goldfish (happened to me twice!). My 3 yr old son tried feeding the piranha a whole canister of cichlid pellets, and my fiance accidentally dropped the piranha onto the carpet when she bit a hole in my net. The second time, my son stacked his toy box on top of something else to feed the fish a nice 1/4 bag of expensive goldfish food, then slipped and gave himself a nice bloody nose for his efforts. Those tanks were a mess to clean, I had to run the garden hose through the window to rinse, rinse, rinse while the piranha hung out in the tub, or the numerous goldfish in a bucket the second time.

Little kids mimic what other people do (that's how they learn), and seeing you feeding the fish, she's just trying to be like you. Don't blame her. I hate when people say "Oh what I would do to that kid". The concept of "too much" doesn't occur to them. Instead, teach her HOW, or, find a new place to hide the fish food.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #12 
Link592

No Skye, because we foster her and another baby & another baby XD a nurse comes over and sees there progress, blah blah blah, and she said she was going threw her terrible 2s, which she didn't go threw and it's 'late' I really don't believe this "Terrible 2s" stuff, but apparently it's true.

She's never actually seen me feed my fish, and my fish food was on the top of my cabinet which takes at least a stool or chair to reach. And I'm 5"7 and I still can't reach it, unless I'm just to short.

Anyways, but it was about 6 or 7AM in the morning, and she was running around, last time I was taking a shower and I found her playing in the water with her hands, also she took my tank water and poured it on the baby who we foster whom is (1) years old, on his hair. And this happened many times, maybe about 5 times already? This is the 6th time, I do understand it's not my fault, but it angers me a lot.

By the way guys the fish is a "He" unless your pointing out to Maria, who's a girl xD I let the water run for 30 minutes, just to get it around room temperature, now I am just placing him in a plastic bag so he can float. Our local fish store uses bags instead of plastic cups, they rather keep the 'vases' they are in at the shop.

Also, his color is fading a bit, he use to be very, very bright red, now he's just a little bit fading, and his color is not as bright as it use to be, it it because of the food? Now that I have no more fish food left, I will be picking him up some pellets, I hope to god our pet store sells New Life Spectrum pellets.

Edit: My friend had 4 piranhas, when she was 4 till 8 years old, they were fed 'meat' she said, hard to believe and feeder goldfish they had a similar problem, while I was at her house that time.

Haha, I have 55 gallon, and honestly there is only 1 tetra that lives in there, poor little thing I am hoping I can go pick up 10 tetras for (s)he. And I had cleaned out a 55 gallon, so much gravel and plants to wash, it was hard :O Took me till 1PM to 9PM since it was that bad, due to no one cleaning it out.

Last edited by Link592; 03-16-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #13 
kyle89

I would remove the betta and change the water again and run the filter at a higher speed f it adjustable and keep the filter media clean
kyle89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #14 
Link592

Just cleaned it out, I had 5mL of Aqua Plus left, good thing about Aqua Plus it has a stress coat in it, so it helps if he's stressed. The water is clear, and I don't see food floating around anymore, so hopefully everything is good.
Link592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #15 
Skyewillow

she had to see someone feeding him, especially if she knew where the food was!

Aren't toddlers FUN?
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #16 
marshallsea

Go to Petco and buy some plants from the plant tank. The snails on the plants will really help get and keep your tank clean.
marshallsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #17 
Bombalurina

Except they add bioload of their own, so they mean more water changes in the long run.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #18 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Except they add bioload of their own, so they mean more water changes in the long run.
Do you have snails in your tank(s)? Since my plants and snail population have become established my need to change water has dropped drastically , according to my water test. I still change water every 7 -10 days but nitrates are never over 5ppm. I feel that snails are a valuable part of a tanks system, as they are in the wild.

Last edited by marshallsea; 03-17-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #19 
LebronTheBetta

Snails make more waste than they eat so I don't think a snail will help. I have 2 in my 20G, they poo A LOT.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #20 
marshallsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronTheBetta View Post
Snails make more waste than they eat so I don't think a snail will help. I have 2 in my 20G, they poo A LOT.
How can they create more poo than they eat? They eat x amount of bio load, use a portion of that to sustain life and poo the rest. Nothing living can eat 1 lb of food and poo 2lbs. They eat poo , rotting food and dead plants. All of which are considered bad for the tank. Plants use their poo as food. I have at least 100 pond snails and 30 ramshorn and have had no ill effects from them. At times I have gone 3 weeks with no water change and nitrates never go over 5ppm. They perform a valuable function, but they have a bad reputation in some circles. They do a job in the wild and in the tank.

Last edited by marshallsea; 03-17-2013 at 11:23 AM.

Tags
betta might die, bloated, fish food