Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #1 
Koraj66

Can a single male Betta live in this..?

Well I had this tupperware container lying around and I transformed it into a small aquarium...the two black things on the side are supports for when I put the water in.
Attached Images

Koraj66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #2 
Crowntails

How large is it?
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #3 
Koraj66

Its about 60CM long and 30CM wide and about 4 or 5 inches high/deep, i would say a couple gallons.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

There is much debate about the size of tank appropriate for bettas...but I'm going to give you my experience/opinion. I will not keep a betta in anything less than 5 gallons, and I have found that most prefer a 10 gallon tank/con. Again, other people have other opinions, this is just what I've found with my fish, other people and their fish are different, and I don't mean to insult anyone. :) There are as many fish as their are personalities, and they all have merit. :)

I believe that the general concensus is that bettas need at least a 2.5 gallon tank to be healthy/happy. I figure it's like living in a bathroom, vs a kitchen, vs a studio apartment, vs a house. I want to live in a house, so I feel that my fish are happier in their houses as well. I wouldn't want to live in a single room. :)

I will say, I don't just dump them into that 10 gallon container directly from their cup. I acclimatize mine to allow them to strengthen and become comfortable in larger and larger tanks until they graduate up to the 10 gals. Also, I keep a lot of plants and hides in my tanks, so they're not just swimming around in endless water, and I make sure to give them plenty of surface area and floating hidey places so that they can feel safe near the surface. :)

It looks like a good container, but I would definitely only use it as a hospital or a holding tank. :)

That being said, if you've got your eye on a fish and want to use it for a month or so (with LOTS of water changes) until you can graduate them up to a larger container or tank, then I'd go for it. :) It looks like a good holding spot. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

Going to do some calculations here:
60cm x 30cm x 4 inches is about....
24in x 12in x 4in, which is about.....
2ft x 1ft x 0.33 ft, which is....
About 0.65 ft3, which is....
About 4.86 gal

Sounds like a good size. But in the picture you posted, it looks smaller than this to me. Are you sure these are the dimensions? If the dimensions you listed are correct, then sizewise, it's OK, I'd think.

Do you know what type of plastic it's made from? There should be a number marking on the bottom. We can look it up, based on that number.

Is is marked dishwasher safe? And how do you plan on heating it?

My biggest gripe about plastic containers is that they are difficult to see through, and I always want to see my guys clearly!

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 03-16-2013 at 07:14 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #6 
Jupiter

Yep, as far as tupperware goes, there are lots of people who keep their fish in there. I kept a few of mine in there temporarily too.

Assuming it is a few gallons, the size is perfectly fine for one betta too. Keep in mind that he'll be happier with some plants or a hiding spot, in case you don't have one already. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #7 
Koraj66

Thanks for all the great replys :) @littlebluefishlets, yeah the picture kinda makes it look smaller than it really is, i might just use it as a hospital or a holding tank like Blue Fish stated above. Thanks for the help guys its much appreciated !:).
Old 03-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #8 
Koraj66

oh yeah and do you guys think i could keep maybe 3 guppies in there (without the betta of course) ?? just wondering,thanks :)
Old 03-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #9 
Bombalurina

No, guppies need a 10 gallon for a group of three. :) They are active little critters with relatively large bioloads and like to swim about.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #10 
Koraj66

Oh that's a shame :( how about some neon tetras ? With some plants