Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #1 
Kboou2

What's wrong with my fish?

I got my betta fish about a week ago and the first day it ate the pellets I gave him, but ever since then he doesn't want to eat! I fed him Aqua Culture betta fish pellets and he only ate one and now all he does is lay at the bottom of the tank. The water is at 78 degrees F and he doesn't look like he's sick. He just doesn't like to move. And he will go to the top of the tank to get air then goes back down to the bottom again. I just got him some freeze dried bloodworms but he won't eat those either. Please help!
Kboou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #2 
callistra

Well the pellets aren't good quality.. You should look for a good quality pellets whose first two or three ingredients are whole fish, not fish meal or wheat. He should be fed two small meals a day (how many depends on the pellet you pick up) and one fast day a week.

The blood worms I understand you are just trying to get your fish interested in eating, but they should generally be reserved for treats, as they can be compared to people eating potato chips - high fat and low nutrition. If you want to feed them regularly, you should pick one day a week and feed one worm in replace of a pellet meal. Anything freeze dried also needs to be thoroughly soaked in a separate cup/container with some tank/treated water for at least 10 minutes soften it before feeding.

Have you done a water change yet?

More info is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #3 
Kboou2

I didn't yet cause it's only been one week. I plan on changing his water tomorrow though.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #4 
callistra

2.5g require twice weekly water changes of 50% and 100%. So that's the first thing that needs to change. I would do it today instead.

If you can fill out the guide we can help more.

Especially if it has a lid and if you ever spray anything in the house.. candles, air fresheners, cleaning products etc..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #5 
Kboou2

Alright, I'll do it tonight.