Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #1 
Artemis

Male Or Female

So I don't have a good pic right now but I'll try to get one soon.

I was sold a gorgeous halfmoon double tail plakat from Petco and named him Rossi but his behavior is leading me to believe HE is a SHE. I have a poster dividing my two bettas but I remove it for around 5 minutes every other day or so so they can exercise. Finn is a nice lavender VT and he flares HUGE. Beard sticking out like crazy, fins up, whole 9 yards. Rossi however just bobs around facing Finn and weaves but will also leave the corner and return only to dottle off again. No beard and very thin "ventrals" (he/she has 1 thinish one and the other is half of one, rounded off). The anal is long-ish but doesn't go further down then the tail. I can't see an egg spot but Rossi's ventrals and anal are very close together and I cannot see the area well, let alone see an egg spot. He has a very thick body like many plakats and about the same length as Finn is but he is much thinner (not for lack of food though, eats like a pig) and has longer, knife like ventrals.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Sounds like a girl, but a picture of him/her flaring will be needed to confirm. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #3 
Artemis

That's half of it, Rossi doesn't flare. EVER. Just bobs around like "get outta here, my plants not yours!" and dances and wiggles. No flaring. Even the ventrals stay nice and tucked. She has a fun habit of grabbing bubbles from the filter and blowing them out later and watching them but not nesting. There was a possible nest but the fact that he/she shredded it with utter happiness, I don't think she exactly knew what to do.
Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote