Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #1 
bniebetta

Musical Tanks

I just got a 5 gallon (at least I think it is, my mom thinks it is ten but I disagree) tank and I of course want my fishies to have the best home possible. My concern is if I SHOULD upgrade my larger fish to the tank, which would include purchasing new decor to fit in it. I would but also moving my smaller fish into the tank the larger fish is currently in which would be a .7g upgrade for him. The problem is 1) I would feel bad for the smaller fish not having as big of a tank 2) I would not want to upset my fish if I had to divide the tank and put another male in with him (I could realistically only fit 3 larger aquariums in my house and that would be pushing it) and 3) I am afraid of stressing out my boys by putting them in a divided tank.

What are your experiences with this kind of stuff? Do you ever move your bettas around or put them in smaller habitats? how do they react? Are males in divided tanks able to get used to each other and live happily?

Thanks for your input!
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I don't do divided tanks but plenty of people on here do. I have 3 10g tanks, a 5.5g, a 5g & a 2.5g that all house 1 male Betta each. I have swapped around each of them, the boy in the 2.5g was in a 10g, went down to the 5.5g & then to the 2.5g he is not very active so there was no point in having with all that space. When I swapped my boys from one 10g to another there were mixed reactions but after a few days each settled in & were fine. Most recently I swapped the male in the 5.5g with another in a 10g, the one who downgraded in size was active in the 10g but not using all of the space so it seemed a waste while the one in the 5.5g was all over the place so I thought he'd like more room, again mixed reactions but each has settled after a few days. So bottom line, its trial & error, a judgement call, some will take really well to change & others may take longer to adjust, some can be quite pissy about being moved.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #3 
tekkguy

What size tanks are they in now?

Can you measure the tank to check the size? It's pretty easy to calculate whether it's a 5 or 10 just from the measurements.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #4 
Blue Fish

I have found that some of mine really resent the smaller tanks, others don't seem to care at all. I think it depends more upon the fish, and where the tanks are located. Mine that resent their smaller containers are less "angry" when they are in places where they see a lot of things, movement from the TV, people walking by, my sitting and working near them, etc. so they're still getting the stimulation.

As for the dividing, mine really seem to enjoy being divided, to the point that I no longer house a single betta. Mine swim around, flare at each other (but not to excess), and I discovered that when I remove half of a "pair" for a treatment or something of that nature, the remaining fish is less active and seems genuinely lonely. I may be simply projecting my own feelings onto them with no basis in fact, but they do seem significantly less active and engaged without their "buddy".

I've got two who have lived together for almost a year, and they actually sleep next to one another fairly frequently. At night, when I turn their lights out, they both retreat to the same corner of their divider. They don't flare, and they seem to be resting and peaceful in their corners, almost nose-to-nose through the divider. When I turn the lights on, they leave their corner, swim around, have breakfast, flare, swim through their plants and their decorations, but the flaring and engagement is always away from their "sleeping" corner.

I hope that helps!! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:02 AM   #5 
SamJustice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
I have found that some of mine really resent the smaller tanks, others don't seem to care at all. I think it depends more upon the fish, and where the tanks are located. Mine that resent their smaller containers are less "angry" when they are in places where they see a lot of things, movement from the TV, people walking by, my sitting and working near them, etc. so they're still getting the stimulation.

As for the dividing, mine really seem to enjoy being divided, to the point that I no longer house a single betta. Mine swim around, flare at each other (but not to excess), and I discovered that when I remove half of a "pair" for a treatment or something of that nature, the remaining fish is less active and seems genuinely lonely. I may be simply projecting my own feelings onto them with no basis in fact, but they do seem significantly less active and engaged without their "buddy".

I've got two who have lived together for almost a year, and they actually sleep next to one another fairly frequently. At night, when I turn their lights out, they both retreat to the same corner of their divider. They don't flare, and they seem to be resting and peaceful in their corners, almost nose-to-nose through the divider. When I turn the lights on, they leave their corner, swim around, have breakfast, flare, swim through their plants and their decorations, but the flaring and engagement is always away from their "sleeping" corner.

I hope that helps!! :)
I had a pair in a divided ten gallon for a while, until one became sick and passed away.
The remaining boy was pretty lonely for a while. Where he used to "chill" by the divider with my other boy, he now hid in his cave and barely swam around.
He's now in a 3 gal, temporarily as I redo the 10 gal to be a community tank for him.
However, when I was out buying somethings (before I switched Raph into the 3 gal) my little sister asked me for a betta, and while I only had the one tank ready, I got it for her and made Raph wait a bit longer before getting moved.
But now, being able to see another betta, he's much happier.

My boys never minded the smaller tanks, so long as I had their favorite decorations (I took Raph's spongebob house for cleaning and to set it up in his new tank, and all he'd do is sit at the front of the 10 gal and stare at me) and some plants.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I have three in a divided ten and two in a divided five. They are fine. Just keep the water low, and after a couple weeks later they will ignore each other.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote