Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #1 
Thomasdog

Going in for a Rescue - Any tips?

Hello everyone!
I know that I have been inactive on the site for a month or two now, but I am offically BACK!
So, a quick little update for all those who know who I am. For those who don't, well, you are about to meet one fish crazy girl! :P

So... Moonie passed away on Monday. He is the reason I really got into bettas and was the one the sparked my passion to breed.

I got new tanks and decor! All fish are now in 5+ gallon tanks, I repeat, all fish are now in 5+ gallon heated, decorated tanks. :) Yay!

I have 3 fish currently, 2 females who occupy and 10g, it is divided, so they are NOT together. Indy has a 10g to himself after previously splitting it with Moonie, who passed. I finally finished my "Ancient Ruins" themed tank and Indy is currently in it! YAYYAY!!!

ANYWAYS! Down to business.
I have been debating rescuing for a while now. I consider myself an 'intermediate' in terms of betta knowledge, I have sucessfully spawned a pair, and have warded off and aided in the care of a few minor diseases. I, like any responsible betta owner, will always be open to any suggestions/ideas, and feel that there is always something to be learned from these amazing fish.

So, the real point of this thread - To get some ideas for friendly suggestions to large chain pet store managers on better betta care/ways to help our friends get rescued and be healed. Of course, I am hoping, since this will be my first real rescue, that I will find a lil' guy (or girl) in a condition in which would benefit greatly from an somewhat more experienced betta keeper. My only problem: convincing store managers that there is a problem, and it should be resolved. I am not begging for a free fish, but trying to motivate store managers to raise their standereds in betta keeping!

Any ideas/comments, please say so!

FYI: Before you go ragging on me about having the proper materials to keep a rescue, how does a heated 5g, all to the friend's self, tank sound! :)

Happy posting!
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

it really depends on the fish you rescue. All the fish I've rescued with the exception of one would have drowned in a 5 gallon. be prepared with some kind of container you can float in your larger tank, and share the water in that tank.
Otherwise, the best of luck to you :)
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #3 
Thomasdog

Thanks aokashi, and I will get right on that! I have a few smaller tanks to perhaps slowly acclimate the lucky little one to a larger tank, and maybe I can wrestle up a mesh "cage" that would be a great multi-purpose tool for the fish too! :)

Do you know if hot glue is safe for fish?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

I have no idea... sorry

i drip acclimate weak bettas...
Old 03-17-2013, 12:56 AM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

I've never used it myself, but I've seen some posts that say that WHITE hot glue is safe. However, I've also seen some posts saying that it can break down over time. So you may need more info on this....

I use aquarium-safe silicone for my "projects." There are different brands of it, so look for 100% silicone. The brand I have is Loctite aquarium-safe waterproof silicone, from Lowe's for about $4.50 a tube. (A tube will last a long time.) It needs to dry for at least 24 hrs before putting it into the tank. Once it's dry, it's very durable. (I've even boiled decorations with it, and it held up.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #6 
Thomasdog

Cool, I'll get some of that!

I know that I have heard of drip-acclimation, but what is it exactly?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

acclimation via dripping... you kind of tie a knot in an airline and drip new water in
Old 03-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #8 
Thomasdog

Ah, yes, thanks!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #9 
registereduser

How well do the store employees know you? If they know you as a betta enthusiast and they see you at the store frequently and have conversations with you, they MIGHT give the fish to you for free. The secret is to be a good customer first.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #10 
Thomasdog

@registereduser - I don't think they know me too well, I get the majority of my supplies online, but since I'm young, well, hopefully adorable innocence will be on my side! XD

The real reason I want to resuce is to just show some people out there that I REALLY CARE. I am going to write a little story about the betta I rescue, and show it to people, hoping to give mistreated bettas some attention.