Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #1 
osromatra

My new females: all in QT

Hubby gifted me with a Marineland 20G kit, and today I went ahead and got my bettas. I am going to do a sorority. They will have 3 mollies for tankmates. So far, 5 bettas. I had six, but one, my most favorite, died on the way home. I knew she was probably a lost cause, already as big as a marble, but hoped I could treat her with ES, fasting, and clean water. She didn't even make it halfway home. It's a 30 minute drive. I mentioned her bloating at checkout and they gave me a discount of $5. So I basically got her free plus a buck off the rest. At least I tried. I am taking pics and tests of her water and lodging another complaint with Pco, which is my third time.

Anyway, on to the survivors. None of them, in my estimation, appear too ill to save. I'm a student nurse, almost ready to graduate, so I went full on nurse-mode and gave them all an assessment. I want help making sure i am treating them as much as possible for their individual needs. All got 1G containers with conditioned water with: Stress Coat per instructions, plus 1/4 dose extra, blackwater extract (tannins) per instructions, and Aq salt (1 Tbsp to 5 gallon). I added them in slowly, adding a small amount of new water every 5-10 minutes, over the course of an hour. I offered each 2 NLS pellets, presoaked, except for the one who is bloated. She I offered one- she isn't extremely bloated, just noticeable. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to do heaters for them but I've bumped the heat up in the house. Their water is currently at 78*. They are each in a 1G container and will get 2 WC daily (100% in the morning, 50% in the evening) or more, if I test it and it's bad (over 0.25, and I use the liquid API kit). Anyway, onto the patients!

------------

1) Red VT (Appears to be a young red-cambodian with iridescence and marbling)
-Body clear of lesions, patches, spots, growths, or wounds. Nothing visible under flashlight. All fins working normally. Very minor fin rot to edges (visible only under close inspection), ventrals curling at tips. Eyes both moving, normal size, no cloudiness. Breathing normally, very good appetite (ate both pellets within a minute of offering, then searched for more). Abdomen does not appear bloated. No poop at this time.

Treatment: continuing with twice daily WC with the StressCoat+tannin+AQ salt water. Will feed NLS, 2 pellets twice daily.

2) Teal CT (Appears to be very young, but not "baby" turquoise-teal, with marbling)
-Body has no visible wounds, patches, spots, or lesions, except for her left gills/face area, which has two red slash-looking wounds. Nothing visible under flashlight. All fins working normally. Minor to moderate fin rot to all fins. Stress stripes apparent, but may be due to age. Not clamped, except with sudden movement. Eyes moving, normal size, with no cloudiness. Breathing normally, good appetite (ate her two pellets within a few minutes). Abdomen does not appear bloated. No poop at this time.

Treatment: Regular WC and feeding as described earlier. Monitor wound for improvement. If not improving within a day or two, will start more progressive treatment. Probably increase tannins first.

3) Purple CT (appears young-near adult, pastel purple or pink cambodian, white body, nearly transluscent, with marbling)
-Body very emaciated, with moderate ammonia burns to gills and fins. Nothing visible under flashlight. All fins working, but very clamped, nearly constantly. Back end appears "saggy" like she is trying to curl up. Very skiddish. Eyes moving, normal size, no cloudiness. Breathing slow to normal. No appetite as of yet. Did not eat her pellets. Abdomen does not appear bloated- actually appears very emaciated. No poop at this time.

Treatment: regular WC and continue to try feeding. If not improving within 24 hours, will increase tannins and small heater.

4) Red CT (appears young-near adult, red cambodian)
-Body has no visible wounds, except for a scrape to her forehead. Nothing under the flashlight. All fins working, minor fin rot. Very skiddish, "flaring", fins not clamped, no stress lines. Breathing normal. No appetite. Offered 1 NLS pellet, pre-soaked, has not eaten. Appears busy assessing her "perimeter". Abdomen noticeably bloated, no pine-coning. No trouble swimming. Eyes moving, normal size, and not cloudy. No poop at this time.

Treatment: I gave her 1/4 tsp of Epsom Salt (pre-dissolved). Will fast, unless I see a big poop tomorrow. If she does poop, I will offer a small amount of thawed daphnia. I will continue with the epsom salt until the bloat resolves. Regular WC.

5) Pastel Cello CT (appears young, pastel cambodian of some sort, either teal or yellow, with some marbling and iridescence)
-Body has slight ammonia burns to gills and minor fin rot. Nothing under flashlight. Occasional clamping, but frequently flaring. Very animated and busy checking out her home. No appetite. Did not touch her 2 pellets at all. Eyes moving, normal size, and no cloudiness. Breathing normal to fast. Abdomen normal, no poop at this time.

Treatment: Continued WC and feeding attempts.
-----------------------------------

Am I missing anything? I know they need a heater, but I just can't spend that much money on heaters that we will use for a month if we can help it. If they take turns for the worse, then I will, but I want to try to avoid it if I can. They will have a cycled (with established media) 20G planted with lots of hiding spots, heated home ready for them, with 3 mollies for tankmates. THanks!
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:09 PM   #2 
aladinala1

lên n*o các b?n oi
aladinala1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #3 
callistra

I would feed a minimum of 5 NLS pellets daily with one fast day a week. It would not be overfeeding to feed 8 NLS pellets.. they're about half the size of standard betta pellets. Since they're all new, you can start small and watch for poop and increase slowly over the week. I always do this. You never know how they were fed or not fed at the pet store and you don't want to shock their system too fast.

For the bettas that will not eat, try getting some seachem garlic guard adn soaking a bit in that. Also you can try some frozen brine shrimp or blood worms - dethaw in small pellet sized chunks. You might easier get their attention by wiggling your finger.

For the bloated one.. monitor poop.. I would add epsom salt at FULL tsp per gallon.

the epsom salt can also help with the ammonia burns if you want to give it to the other one as well, but clean warm water will probably do the trick too.

If they are in a full gallon I would only do a maximum of 1 water change a day. I think it would be okay to alternate 50% 100% every other day, but I definitely wouldn't do twice daily in this size.

I always add 1 drop per gallon fresh water vitachem to my fish, and my fish from the pet store get garlic guard the first month to boost their immune system. It's all optional but it's all helpful.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #4 
osromatra

Update: everyone tolerating their wc. I've gotten everyone to eat except the sickest. She still looks pretty sad but she seems less droopy/saggy. She has refused nls and omega one flakes. I'm going to thaw her a bloodworm and wiggle maybe? The bloated one still hasn't pooped, but she looks a little less rounded anyway. And the slashes on the teal one, I noticed her other side now has identical marks on the other, and her ventrals match the color also so I'm thinking its her coloring. Everyone is less clamped, less striped, and more active. Overall, pretty positive improvements.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #5 
osromatra

Thanks for the wc info! I was kind of concerned about the sickest one, she does get pretty freaked out. None of their water was even close to 0.25, so I was wondering if I could space them out. I did fully change her though suce I had offered flakes to see if she'd try that. She is very skinny.

None have pooped yet. And the reason I offered only 2 pellets was because they are all fairly small, I was using their eyeball size as a guide. The ones with good appetites I plan on increasing to 2 pellets three times a day.

The bloated one I offered a small portion of frozen daphnia, which she found curious but ultimately ate.

Is the vitachem ok in conjunction with the blackwater extract?
Old 03-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #6 
callistra

In that case I may not add it because I primarily add vitachem for a B boost, and that is full of vitamine B. However, it's not as good as real IAL, as I understand it.

The reason is, as it was explained to me by OFL, is that those products are generally made at a high heat that kills off all the natural antibacterial/fungal properties of the tannins. Some might also contain other chemicals which are not so beneficial, but as I read about this one it seems the vitamin B boost is a good thing.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #7 
osromatra

Ugh, ok, the red VT has developed some bloat. Since last night around 7, she has had 4 NLS pellets and that's it from me. I added a small amount (maybe 1/4 tsp) of some pre-dissolved epsom salt that I had made up for the bloated red CT to her container. She sometimes swims sideways too. Her container is round though, and really tall (a vase), and we used it for our male when we first got him and he had a similar odd swim, so I wonder if it's just that, cramped spaces maybe. She looks good though still, no stripes, no clamping, but is a bit agitated.