Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #1 
Jayloo

Tank size while breeding...

I breed in a 35 gallon heated tank that is divided so that the male and female are only actually in 30% of the tank. I do this so that the male and female do not lose interest in each other. I also like the idea of just removing the divider when I remove the father and *bam* my fry are already in a spacious grow out tank. What are some of your methods?!
Jayloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I use a more natural method in soil based heavy planted full to the top with water- 5gal-10gal tanks in the house. Outside, I use 5gal buckets and several different things to spawn in the warmer months.

I have had spawns in my 75gal since I keep most of my Bettas together, however, the fry never survive and that is fine-I don't want them to...I like to know who ma and pa are...lol....

Lots and lots of different ways to spawn this species successfully...Its finding what works best for you, your breeders and what you have on hand.....

With that said, I generally recommend the standard method using a half full bare bottom 10gal for first time breeders-Then they find their own way as they gain experience....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #3 
Myates

I tried the standard way a few times with no luck.. may try again on one of my next two spawns coming up in a week or so. Otherwise I have had best luck using small and minimal - bowls and tubs within a 10g. I prefer the tubs as I can put small holes in the side to make sure the water in and out are the same to make transfer easier.

IAL leaf broken up and that's it. Heater and live plants, more IAL in the 10g, sponge filter on low (as the sides of the containers will keep current away from nest/fry) Will add in some live plants into the container once the fry have hatched.
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:58 PM   #4 
Jayloo

I think different breeders have different techniques. Will have to try out all of them! :)
Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #5 
Myates

Yup! There is no "right or wrong" way - just the basic needs - clean water, warmed, etc. Whatever works best for each breeder/fish :) I wish I could do it like OFL - but I'm not experienced enough with live plants nor breeding to try it in the more natural way lol.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:01 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

The problem with gigantic tanks, IMO, is feeding newly hatched fry. More space to find food. And you can't possible scatter food all over the tank so each fry can get to it. Uneaten or leftover food will quickly foul up the water. OFL has succeeded in "calling" fry by tapping on the tank. But this doesn't work for me for newly hatched fry. I could only do this with older fry. . . . if available, feed foods that can live longer in your tank, giving fry better chance of finding it.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #7 
Jayloo

That is a good suggestion!
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #8 
Jayloo

I usually draw my BBS in a syringe and drop several drops all over. And ME I have to swab a couple different times.