Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 AM   #1 
Jmbbf

He's jumped :'(

I've just come home, first thing I do is always check my tank. My boys always there to meet me but today he wasn't I looked everywhere.
I have a 60 litre covered community tank. I've only had him a couple of weeks and he's been happy and fine, apart from tummy trouble. He's jumped out from one of the holes in the back where the filter is. But I don't understand why? He was originally in with 4 rummynose and everything was fine 3 days ago I added some neons again everything was fine.
All water parameters are zero so why has he jumped could the other fish have been bullying him so he jumped? I don't know how long he was out for he was clamped and stuck to the carpet but still alive I've put him back in but he's just laying on the floor my poor boy can I do anything to help him or is it too late :(
Jmbbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Bettas jump as it is an instinctive behaviour.

My bettas have to have the tops of their tanks covered in cling wrap because they will jump.

It could have been that he was startled, could have been he saw something and thought it was food, it may well have been that the other fish harassed him or spooked him and he jumped out.

Depending on how long he was lying there, it may take only a day or so for him to recover. I had a male recently jump that looked like death when I found him and within a couple of days he was back to normal. His slime coat and fins still looked bad, but he was in otherwise good health.

Bettas are pretty resilient, although if you are worried, maybe put him in a smaller container and float this at the top of your community tank so he can recover without the stress of the other fish and having to swim up and down to get to the surface.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:56 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

They are jumpers when you least expect it. I would put him in a smaller hospital tank to keep an eye on him & give him a little extra love. Plus that way if you need to add a little Aq salt or some thing you can do so.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #4 
Jmbbf

Thank you both for your replies I put him in a cup in the tank whilst I went out to purchase a smaller tank and some aq salt for him but he passed while I was out :( guess he'd been out far too long poor boy I feel so bad for him
Jmbbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Ohhh so sorry to hear that.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote